• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1650 starter

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dijohnson

displayname
Don Johnson
I installed an after market starter on my 1650 and it makes a loud screeching noise.( as close as I can describe the noise) Does anyone have any experience with this problem. The pattern on the pinion shows the gear is engaging about half a tooth.

It sounds like the gears are to tight and jamming. try shimming the starter out a little at a time until the pinion can slide into the flywheel easily. A soda can is a good source of shim but even a few strips of paper should work.

There were 2 different tooth profiles with pinion tooth numbers used on K-series engines of this vintage. Try comparing the replacement starter with the original and see if they are the same.

When you said it was engaging a half a tooth I took it to mean it was only sliding into the ring gear half way. If you meant it looked like the gears are to far apart then you probably have a 10 tooth when you need a 13 tooth like the other guys said.

It is a 10 tooth. This was checked when the starter was delivered. I have to see if my friend at the auto electric still has the old one in the scrap pile I will check the depth of the old gear pattern. I has to have something to do with the gear.

Back