- Jul 9, 2020
- Lebanon, Oregon
This will be a continuation of work on a K341/1650 tractor I posted about in the thread "Kohler K series shortblocks". So installation into the tractor is now finally arrived. I ran into a small hitch when I was attaching the engine to the engine mounting rails. I noticed that the rails did not want to lay flat or bolt up flat to the oil pan. The rail edges were interfering into the radius of the oil sump on the oil pan. I switched from an aluminum pan to a cast iron one. This was because the mounting holes were stripped and wallored out in the aluminum; i.e. no chance of saving it, just not enough meat left for threads of any kind. The old aluminum one had some deep chafing along the sump from the rails and I believe must of been a problem from day one. Unknown to the PO, they worked loose and hammered out. What I did was trim and bevel the edges for a nice flat fit. The bolts went in easy peasy after that.