• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1650 Restoration 2020

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip Kmitch

This will be be my first restoration project so any help from experienced restorers on where to start would be appreciated. Are there any books on Cub Cadet restoration?
Thanks
Skip

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 320
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 303
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 310
whenever I start a restoration (I do antique cars).. I try to get as many of the systems working before I start tearing it apart. In this way, you can find parts you will need, see how they fit, disassembly and reassembly processes, and that sort of thing that makes getting it together easier (without damaging restored or new parts). It's an opportunity to check for wear and damage, so you can have the parts on hand, instead of having to halt assembly to order something.

What do you mean restoration? All that stuff looks fine from here, just maybe a little cleaning on the attachments.
Lot of nice attachments you have there! Nice score!

What do you mean restoration? All that stuff looks fine from here, just maybe a little cleaning on the attachments.
Lot of nice attachments you have there! Nice score!
Recently purchased - I’d really like it to look and run like new - some day - new paint and decals. It’s actually fairly decent - tiller works but hard to keep at very slow steady pace - little jumpy. The other attachments all look pretty good for the age. Just hasn’t received a lot of tlc in recent years the way it looks. Haven’t noticed a drop of oil on the garage floor yet - always a good sign. Have to run it with the choke out - have a new carb but not on yet.
Replaced the seat.
Would you happen to know if changing the hydro oil and filter might help with smoothing out the hydro drive?
Thanks
Skip

Wow, nice 1650! And look at all those attachments. Very nice!

While not a book on restoration, Oscar H. Will III's book, "Cub Cadet the First 45 Years", has a chapter on refurbishing a Cub Cadet. I believe there's an update to it called "50 Years of Cub Cadet." I believe both are no longer in print. It appears that CC Specialties carries "50 Years of Cub Cadet"

CC Specialties

Thanks for the comments and the information.
Did you happen to notice the pintle hitch on the front? Story is the previous owner before the person I bought it from was a retired airline pilot and used the Cub to pull his private plane in and out of the hanger.
Skip

Back