• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1650 Neutral Safety Switch

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcfall

displayname
Gary McFall
I can't get my tractor to start. Not so much as a click when I turn the key. Battery is new & fully charged. The wiring harness was cobbled, so I replaced it. Discovered that I need to replace the neutral switch as the current one has a connector different than what's on the harness. Also, there's nothing there to activate the switch when pressing the brake (see pix). Assuming from the parts manual that I need to buy/install a "732-3000 Spring, Safety Switch Operating". In the meantime, can I just bridge the two ends of the switch wiring harness connector to see if that will resolve the starting problem? Sorry if that's a dumb question. Have worked on mechanical problems all my life, but I'm weak in the electrical area & don't want to damage anything by shooting from the hip!

IMG_8521.JPG
IMG_7912.JPG

Gary, yes you will need the spring clip thing that presses on the safety switch to actually use that function. Until then, you should be able to just short or jumper the contacts together to bypass the switch.

Yup, That'll do the trick.
My 1450 was the same way and I just got it fixed yesterday
Make sure the PTO switch is in the "off" position as well or it will not crank either..

Gary, yes you will need the spring clip thing that presses on the safety switch to actually use that function. Until then, you should be able to just short or jumper the contacts together to bypass the switch.
Thank you!

The majority of my cubs have the safety switch by passed....I just clipped the original switch connector off...crimped on some spade connectors,electrical taped the connection and zip tied the harness out of the way of any moving parts.kinda hack but a quick and functional way to Solve a pesky problem

Sometimes the PTO switch on my 1450 gives me trouble. Only after mowing when she’s. She won’t start, not a click. The first time it happened I spent a few minutes with a test light checking stuff, accidentally touched the switch while turning the key. Bam. Off to the races...
I haven’t bought a new switch yet, when it happens, I just jiggle the switch and away I go.
I have an all original 1450(built 1975) I got from my wife’s uncle. He owned Wenatchee Truck & Tractor, the IH dealer in Wenatchee WA in the 1970’s. This was one of his demo tractors. When he sold the business he kept a Scout and this tractor. I bought it from him in 2004 for $400. It’s my “daily driver”, I mow with it, about an acre. I’m near Seattle, so no snow plowing.

Latest posts

Back