• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1650 Cub Cadet Hydrostatic Transmission Issues

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Lauria

I have a 1650 Cub Cadet that lurches forward from a stationary position. Fluid levels are good, and all maintenance done. Can someone help me diagnose some of the typical guilty parts that cause it?

I have a 1650 Cub Cadet that lurches forward from a stationary position. Fluid levels are good, and all maintenance done. Can someone help me diagnose some of the typical guilty parts that cause it?
There is a dampener system with a spring and traveling pocket around it look for slack in the spring ends on it look closely !!!!

Digger,

Another quick question when you have time.......... the blade speed of the 1650 I have slows considerably in moderate to heavy grass. Would you say this is normal for the single cylinder tractor? The engine runs great but it doesn't have the "punch" I would expect. Deck tension pulley is good, belts are good, mule drive is good. Is there any pulley upgrade or anything else you could suggest? I also realize this problem could be many things, but you were spot on about the trunnion repair that I wanted to pick your brain again. Thanks for your time. Paul Lauria

Digger,

Another quick question when you have time.......... the blade speed of the 1650 I have slows considerably in moderate to heavy grass. Would you say this is normal for the single cylinder tractor? The engine runs great but it doesn't have the "punch" I would expect. Deck tension pulley is good, belts are good, mule drive is good. Is there any pulley upgrade or anything else you could suggest? I also realize this problem could be many things, but you were spot on about the trunnion repair that I wanted to pick your brain again. Thanks for your time. Paul Lauria
First thing would be to check the air gap on the PTO, and go from there.
http://cubfaq.com/electric_pto.html

Oil leak from front seal behind the PTO would cause my belt to slip in medium / heavy grass. If you have a leak, not hard to fix...took me about 2 hours with simple hand tools and now my deck cruises through grass with ease...
Unless it's a serious leak, and been leaking for 10 years or more, I have my doubts that enough oil could get to the PTO, just sayin. (y)

Agreed, I have a 1650, and it should drag the engine down, not slow the blades down. If the engine RPM stays the same, and the blades slow, then you should check all the above. Also make sure the pulleys, adjuster bolt, and spring arm are there and working properly on the mule drive.

Digger,

When there is a power question all ways start with compression test and go through the governor spring setting and rpm set idle and full speed and the pull all belts and spin all bearings for dry and failing ones then you’ll KNOW ITS RIGHT !!!

When there is a power question all ways start with compression test and go through the governor spring setting and rpm set idle and full speed and the pull all belts and spin all bearings for dry and failing ones then you’ll KNOW ITS RIGHT !!!
AQS engines have ACR's in them, so a compression test is out of the question.

I should have been more specific. It doesn’t creep as in the neutral adjustment is off. When i advance the hydro lever it just isn’t smooth after I did all the repairs. I’ve included a pic of the completed repair of the trunion. There is no play in the linkage. I shimmed cam plates. I just don’t know why it isn’t smoother.

Attachments

• E38B5436-331C-486A-A223-64AA5F363037.jpeg
    E38B5436-331C-486A-A223-64AA5F363037.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0
  • D2881D4A-91D3-4BEF-BEEA-BB9D539CF46B.jpeg
    D2881D4A-91D3-4BEF-BEEA-BB9D539CF46B.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 0
Loosen the tension adjuster a little.
It's on the right side of the tower, behind the side panel, takes a 1-1/8"wrench.
There is a wave washer in there and I'd bet some rust as well...
You will have to remove the fuel tank & support to access this area and the nut for the tension adjuster.
There are 3 belleville spring washers (#21) and a friction disc, (#23) in there.
Pay attention to how the ass'y comes apart.
Therein lies your tension issue
Take it apart and clean, lube a bit and reinstall
A bit of lube on the rockshaft bearing (#20) won't hurt either
Or, you may be able to loosen it up with a dribble of WD down alongside the hydro lever.

1658513242159.png

Attachments

• DSCN9463.JPG
    DSCN9463.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 0
Back