• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1650 ~ Coil to Spark Plug Wire

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proper

displayname
PE ROPER
My 1650 will not start. When the tractor is not in use, it is connected to a battery maintainer. Battery tested - charged. Sparkplug tested - good.

When I turn the key, all I get is a couple of tick sounds (same as if your car battery is about to die) coming from the righthand side around where the ignition coil, is located. Three years ago I had the solenoid, breaker Points Assembly & Condenser, ignition coil and carburetor replaced. The original 43 year old coil to spark plug wire was not replaced.

For two years when I try to start the engine and get nothing, I can raise the hood, wiggle the cap on the spark plug of the coil to spark plug wire and the engine will start up (the spark plug does not move, just the cap over it. The cap fit securely over the spark plug, so I have no idea why this worked.

Signs and symptoms of bad spark plug wires. Found this check list online.

Engine Hard Starting or Misfire - Yes. Last two times I used tractor and I turned the key, it was trying to turn over. The second time I tried to start it, the same thing, but I continued to hold the key and 15 seconds later the engine turned over.

Engine surging - No

Engine rough idling - No

Reduced engine power - Yes. The gas lever has to be pushed to the max as of late. With the gas lever pushed to the max, I have to stop and refuel.

Backfiring - Yes. The last time I used the tractor I got one small poof and a one loud bang

Signs and symptoms of bad spark plug wires makes it should like a fuel problem. I spent Saturday cleaning the gas line and carburetor (total waste of time, both were clear.
I only run non-ethanol fuel.

You would think the coil to spark plug wire is bad or has a short, but would I be getting that ticking sound it the wire is bad?

Thank.

"...all I get is a couple of tick sounds..." Probably your starter solenoid clicking. It's under the dash panel, on the right side. Use a voltmeter to see if 12v gets to your starter. If not, your solenoid may be bad. If you get 12v to the starter, but it doesn't turn the engine over, the starter may be bad. But before replacing anything, check all electrical connections, including grounds, for good contact.

If the engine turns over but it won't fire until you mess with the plug wire, you probably know the answer: Replace the plug wire.

One other thought; it's possible your battery is bad. The maintainer keeps it fully charged, but if it has a bad cell, the voltage could drop way down when a load is applied, and then it can't supply the current required to spin the starter.

Finally, I'm far from an expert in this stuff, but there are many members of this forum who are extremely knowledgeable and will likely weigh in.

Starter problem for sure. This thing is crazy. I found a old post from July 2012:

One quick thing to do and I think is more than likely your problem is to wiggle the PTO clutch switch while trying to crank the engine. For some reason the power to the starter runs through that
switch and if the closed contact gets a little corroded it won't turn over. My 1450 will do the same thing if it sits a while. Posted by: nqueensland - July 27, 2012

Starter problem for sure. Process of elimination at this point. I turned the key to start the tractor and got noting. No sound what so ever. I remembered the post and wiggle the PTO clutch switch. It was a perfect start (like a brand new show room start). It's a starter problem, something I'm not comfortable doing myself. I found a older guy man who has worked on tractors most of his life. Not like the other kid in town who wants to hook everything up to diagnosis equipment. Starter solenoid, plug wire or something else? I'll find out soon. Thanks

If you wiggle the pto switch and it cranks, your problem is with the pto switch. First thing I would try is douse the switch with wd40, switching it back and forth so the wd40 can work it’s way inside. Also pull the connectors of the back off the switch and clean the spades…
The pto switch has 2 sets of contacts, one set is connected when it is in the “off” position for the starter solenoid, when switched to “on” those contacts are open so you can start the monster with the pto engaged.

Starter problem for sure. Process of elimination at this point. I turned the key to start the tractor and got noting. No sound what so ever. I remembered the post and wiggle the PTO clutch switch. It was a perfect start

Replace the switch. After 40+ years things deteriorate beyond reliability no matter how much you fix it. Change that plug wire too, they break down even with no moving parts.

Back