• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1641 pto not working

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbachmann

displayname
William Bachmann
I have a 1641 sn 850000 with snowthrower 451. Aas running snowthrower and it stopped. Pulled connection going to pto and when running, and I hit pto switch, I get 14.4v. If I jump pto directly to battery and tractor is running, pto works. Any idea what my problem is?

welcome to the forum!!
WELCOME.gif

in the schematic section below, page C91, (pdf page 206),
you have the Ign switch, seat switch, reverse switch, and reverse relay potentially interrupting your clutch.

https://www.ihcubcadet.com/diagrams/Electrical%20Schematics.pdf

William: Your question has come up in various forms before regarding tractors of your vintage that are equipped with Reverse Switches (at the transmission) and Reverse Relays.

After studying the diagram for your tractor (and only one diagram is listed for a 1641 in the Wiring Diagrams section of this forum), I would describe the circuit's operation as follows:

1. When the PTO switch is placed in what I assume is its momentary START position, the power is connected to the PTO clutch from the F terminal at the switch through the A terminal also at the switch.

2. Meanwhile, since the F terminal is also connected to the B terminal at the switch, if the Normally Open (NO) seat switch is closed (someone is sitting in the seat), and the transmission is not in Reverse, the Reverse Relay pulls in.

3. Since the Common, terminal 30, of the Reverse Relay is connected to power at terminal F at the PTO switch, the PTO Clutch stays on even when power is dropped to Terminal A when the PTO Switch is in the Run Position. In other words, the Reverse Relay is latched in by the PTO contacts at terminals A and B.

4. The latch on the Reverse Relay is released by any one of three events, (a) the PTO Switch is turned off, (b) the contacts at the NO Seat Switch are broken, (c) the tractor is put in reverse opening the Normally Closed (NC) contacts at the Reverse Switch at the transmission.

I tried to diagram the logical relationship I've described, because I'm not sure anyone has quite understood my previous descriptions of this circuit. I don't pretend that my diagram is authoritative and correct, I especially had trouble figuring out how to incorporate the PTO switch. Also, my identification of the various components is based solely upon my examination of the Wiring Diagram, I haven't had a chance to examine the components myself, but I think it must work the way I've described and diagrammed it. I can't tell you where the components are on your tractor, because I've never seen a 1641 except in pictures. Finally, please note that your tractor has not one, but two seat switches; one of them is Normally Open (the one used in the PTO circuit) and one is Normally Closed and has something to do with the charging system and a light which tells you to "Depress Left Pedal."

253132.jpg

253133.jpg

253134.jpg

Edit: Also, your 1641 is a Garden Tractor of the CCC/MTD era and your questions should be asked and answered there, in fact, I thought I was in the CCC/MTD section when I answered your question and only realized just now we are in the Lawn Tractor section.

Back