• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

16 HP wants to vibrate

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dijohnson

displayname
Don Johnson
I have a 16 HP that shakes , raddle before it rolls. Anything over 2000 RPM it is just annoying. The engine has been rebuilt, all new moving parts except the crank. I even have the crank balanced. It is a 1975 model. Just did a frame up restoration. Any help would be appreciated.
Don

I'm right there to commiserate with you! I went through a rebuild and installed the balance plate but it doesn't seem to help. I have never even finished the tractor. It still needs more tuning as it is hard starting, but, I'd rather use the 73 with the 8 hp motor, runs smoother and sips fuel. I did blow snow with the 169 once. after 30 or 40 minutes the vibrations gave me enough pain in the feet and hands I parked it and pretty much ignored it since.

I have a 16 HP that shakes , raddle before it rolls. Anything over 2000 RPM it is just annoying. The engine has been rebuilt, all new moving parts except the crank. I even have the crank balanced. It is a 1975 model. Just did a frame up restoration. Any help would be appreciated.
Don
I have known some guys that have them and they run them wide open all the time, any slower they shake bad.
David

Yeah, I kept it cranked up, WOT. Many folks tell me they just shake. It's not going to get any better,
David Kirk has a lot of good info ( or had...) on here regarding the balance and why they shake.

Don
Check the ISO mounts to see if you have one or more that are mushy. If you put new ones in with the rebuild, they do have to be reset after a little run time. I had one once that I had to do 3 times, what a PITA that was! :p

Yes I put in new ISO mounts and new rag joints. I will look at resetting the mounts. Maybe I should replace it with a 14 HP.

Since you stated it is a 1975 I am assuming you are referring to a K341. These engines are internally balanced thus if we are experiencing "excessive" vibration we must look at external parts that are attached directly to the crankshaft. I would first check the PTO pulley(s)and any adaptors, run the engine without it(them) and if the vibration is reduced or gone take appropriate action to correct them. If they make no difference remove the flywheel and check it for balance, knowing the engine is internally balanced we can surmise the flywheel must be balanced as well. You can check this well enough with a blade balancer. If it is not balanced ad weight as needed (I do not recommend removing weight from these flywheels). You may or may not succeed in removing all the vibration but these steps will definitely improve it.

This engine does not have the balance shaft. The flywheel and clutch were balanced with the crank.
Thanks
Don

Latest posts

Back