• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1512 Turbo plow tractor project

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbeem

Before I end up with pictures and half descriptions all over the Forum, I figure I better just start a thread.

I've been back and forth with Supers and wide frames and think this might be the right compromise.
I have wanted a diesel forever, and when this clean well documented 2nd owner tractor came up for the right price....it was time to make room in the stable for it.
It meant scrapping a couple projects to free up funds and space, but it is time to build My perfect plow tractor.
I've run the tractor for a total of 15 minutes and that was enough to convince me that power steering will be part of the equation as well!
My 108 still rules the roost and will be watching to see if this grease burner can earn a permanent place in the shed.

293000.jpg

Pretty straight unit, came with a stack of receipts back to 1988.

293001.jpg

Picked up a rebuildable? Smartcar 0.8 ltr turbo out of Canada. Turned out that it had eaten a valve spring or something. Had to purchase a new turbo cartridge to get it back in shape.

293002.jpg

Used some "old school" paper and pencil rubbing to get the bolt patterns. Transferred to a piece of rusty 1/2" steel that I found in a parking lot.
All the manifold work was done with a drill press and cut-off wheel except I did mill it flat at work. Just a little bit of port matching (I'm kinda crazy about porting) and it will be perfect.
293003.jpg

Stay tuned...lots of parts ordered and lots of additional work on the way.

Nice! Seems strangely familiar....

Big Brown Truck dropped off the new hooves today. I am very pleased, just perfect. These are pretty stiff and rugged, and the rubber seems harder than some of the Ag tires I have bought recently.

293045.jpg

293046.jpg

Did a little bit of gasket making and porting. Slowly but surely I'm getting pieces built.
293047.jpg

The done pile consists of the grill which I reworked a couple weeks ago. Of course the casting at the headlight mounts like 90% of them.

293048.jpg

Looking GOOD!!! Those meats look evil!!! They will probably stand up a little when inflated, a good thing! You can space up the fenders for clearance there AND pick up some ground clearance as well.

Rick I like the Mr Gasket material nice to work with.

Yeah Mike it is tough when you don't have a metalworker in your garage though! The big holes I used a utility knife to poke a series of holes until I could work the piece out. I then bolted the assembly together and used a die grinder to match the gasket to the exhaust bore. I have at least an hour in that gasket....good grief.

Insert picture Here:
Ok, I'm having problems resizing the pictures from my new Iphone. Using IRFanview I can't seem to get the pictures resized...even when they are under the minimum resolution the forum says they are too big. Anyone have an idea?

Rick B. Just a thought for spacers to give you more clearence using the bigger tires. Rather than washers how about trying the MOOG K5252 isomounts. Put a washer on the bottom and top of the rubber piece and then bolt it down. It would give a more "OEM" appearance than using washers.
happy.gif

Marlin, I'm hoping that no spacers necessary...but that might be a good idea.

Got things mostly plumbed. I was going to go kind of like Steve's, but the fittings I had did not let me go that route.
I turned the turbo output to 45 degrees which worked out OK.
I need to replace the silicone hose there though because it is actually a 30 degree hose and is slightly kinked.
I need to plumb the oil feed line and it will be about ready to fire.
Seems I've lost the oil sending unit though....always something!

293130.jpg

Yeah....don't print my picture...you'll run out of black ink.
I had to use the kids camera because pictures taken on my iphone are being a PITA.

See, cameras will survive! Just because all these new fangled things are getting so complicated, ya cant figure where the shutter button is anymore ! On camera processing ?...just take it to Walmart and you'll have everything you'll need.
facepalm.gif
bash.gif

Rick you need the power toys software from Microsoft it puts the resizer in the menu when you click on a pic.I send from my Iphone large pic and resize to small so it can be posted

Rick,

Looks very nice!!!! I like the piping!!!! Keep it up!!!!

Rick,
Lookin' good! Won't be long now and you'll be whistling.............
The pipe routing looks just as clean as Steve's. Both look factory. Can't wait to see what ya decide for the exhaust pipe. Stainless or black?
cool.gif

Can-O-Worms,
So I'm about ready to put oil back in this.
The previous owner has used the same Case IH 10w-30 since new (he even gave me a full gallon)
Just under 800 hours on the clock.
I'm thinking 15w-40 would be better suited to the warm weather HD use that I'm building this for. Or maybe time to go synthetic?

What are you diesel / turbo diesel guys running?
Keep in mind, this is not used in the winter.

I just changed mine. Used 10w-30 Ford Motorcraft diesel oil from wally world.....Kubota is very specific about 10w-30, and I figured if it was good for a Power-Stroke, it is OK for my DT600.
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

I just changed the oil in my 1512 and I used 10 w 40 Rotella oil . I could not find a good diesel oil that was 10w30 like kubota wanted used . I think it will be ok and think oil now must be better oil .

Back