• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1512 Turbo plow tractor project

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No turning back now.
The 1512 is gutted.

299937.jpg

299938.jpg

"You'll Never plow a field with no motor" LOL

Sooooo,
Are you gonna pull apart the original engine or swap 'em out? Looks like you put the original one back together? Inquiring minds wanna know.
happy.gif
I, myself am curious about what's wrong with the D600. These little Kubotas are tough, if treated correctly.

Josh,
I plopped the head and valve cover back on to pull the power unit. I'm pretty sure it has a hurt piston.
They may be tough, but if the old codger that owned it EVER hit it with ether, it could have been hurt previously. I have run it under load for less than 30 minutes. I do not think I have put 2 hours on the engine since last November when I started the build.
My best option appears to be swapping the D640 into it as I was NOT contemplating and engine build on top of the rest of my schedule.
One piston is not a big deal, but it all takes time. But if I do that.....I have zero Cubs running and I'll be raking leaves!! EEEEEK!!

Shouldn't piston damage be pretty easy to spot with the head off?

Sometimes-sometimes not. I've had Pistons that look perfect in the hole fall in half in my hand.
Probably between the rings fractured.

Rick B. Don't scrap that engine. A friend of mine knows a guy that rebuilds them. I can contact him if you don't want to keep the engine.

Suspicion confirmed. Center piston is hurt. Cylinder looks like it will be fine with a hone.
Of course I'll measure everything.
Or might have my Kubota dealer brother in law work it over.
300044.jpg

300045.jpg

Rick B Ouch!!! Good thing it is an easy fix. Still it is discouraging and $$$ out of the Cub Funds to repair. I'd let the Kubota guys fix it. That way they can check for something that may otherwise be overlooked.

Well, I'm going to rebuild the D600 and put it back in.

Dropped the block and pistons off at an engine builder last Monday. He passed my interview with flying colors....I was NOT going to let just anyone prep the block!
Anyway, he has good equipment and extensive race engine and turbo experience. Once he checks out the bore's I'll get the appropriate parts ordered.
I may get the pistons and skirts coated while I'm in there, runs about $40 a piston.

Finally heard back from the machine shop.
He said he was not surprised that the motor stuck.
Extremely tight tolerances by Kubota. He machine honed the cylinders out a bit to deal with piston expansion.
Still well within spec for standard piston and rings!

Parts are ordered, hope I can get it together without too much beer.

Finally got the motor buttoned up today.
I sure have been spoiled working on Kohlers!
Everything freshened up & turbo ready.
Also decided to upgrade to CV driveline and add rear hydraulic ports while its apart.

301976.jpg

301977.jpg

All most ready to crank it up.
I'm nervous as hell!

Any thoughts on priming the hydro pump?
I tore it down and replaced the top shaft for a CV conversion.
I figured pouring some Hytran in the relief valves should cover it.

I have yet to shorten the new drive shaft. I'm thinking that I'll have to sleeve the outer (tight fit) and then TIG together.
302354.jpg

302355.jpg

Rick-
Nice rig!

No need to prime the Hydro Pump. As long as you lubed the plungers by dipping them in Hytran as you reassembled the pump, you should be fine.
Shift.gif

Got my drive shaft shortened and sleeved also had to slide motor forward to get it. Also had to wack in the power steering tube really close. Working on wiring now.

Good to hear Mike!

My tractor is not going well.
Got it all ready to fire up and after priming the fuel system I had coolant coming out between the head and block.
Tore it down and checked everything visually, cleaned, deburred, and reassembled with new head gasket.
This time it was leaking before I even had the coolant topped off.
It appears that the water jacket in the head may be cracked internally. Ordered a rebuilt head and an OEM Kubota head gasket.
The head gaskets from Kumar Bros do not seem as quality to me.
More money spent than I can count on this one....

I'd love to blame the turbo, but the engine had some pre-existing conditions.
It had a minor coolant leak before. Now that everything is cleaned there is no lime and rust to block the flow.

Rick, sorry to hear about the issues with your Diesel Cub. Hopefully you'll get it all together without to much more money or work. It's way to nice looking to not be running.

I second that, your tractor is extremely clean and great looking! I look forward to watching it turn some dirt.
happy.gif

Back