• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1512 Impossible to start.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akiszka

displayname
Anthony Kiszka
My 1512 has become impossible to start. I suspect I have a combination of issues. Starter that takes way to much current to turn over eats L&G batteries. Second problem leaky o-ring on throttle plate, so it looses prime and provides a drain down effect on the injection lines. I already have updated the glow plugs to newer self limiting type with a ford starter relay. I ordered a new starter, added addtional batteries in parallel so I can turn the motor over and purge the injector lines. What am I missing here?

Anthony, have you checked the ground connections? If you have not yet added a heavy ground wire from the negative terminal on the battery to the engine block that is likely your problem.

I have the dual ground lines. All connections appear clean. I did just read a thread about corroded positive cable all the way down to the starter I have cable and can replace this tonight. I suspect the starter as it is extremely hot with only a minor amount of cranking.

Has there been an end all as to what battery is the best one for the tractor? I have a higher end 360 cold crank amp model from Tractor supply. I have been thinking about and Odessy.

Anthony, does your eletric fuel pump run with the key on? Also I don't know what you are talking about the fuel leak at the throttle plate? there isn't a throttle plate in that injection pump that I know of. did you check your fuel filter and if so was it blackish colored?

Anthony Kiszka
Here is a picture of the injector pump . Can you tell us where the leak is ?

220667.png

The electric fuel pump was replaced last year and runs normally. The fuel filter has a black line of something in it, cracking the fuel input bleeder at the injection pump with the key on I get a steady stream of fuel. Turning the engine over with the injector lines cracked I get a steady stream of fuel pulses. The leak I have is with the o-ring on the speed plate, #8.

220676.jpg

Anthony Kiszka
Did you bleed the fuel filter also and the nut on the line above that. If the system has air in it the diesel won`t start. If there is any thing but diesel in the filter (The fuel filter has a black line of something in it) replace the filter and holding key to the left bleed the new filter on both sides and the fuel supply line above that next.If there is any air in the system your diesel will not build the pressure so the injectors can release the fuel. The fuel has to be compressed to be ejected into the cylinder. I hope this makes sense to you.
old.gif

And replace that O ring ,it could be causing a bleed off of pressure for the injectors, causing the not to fire) My .02

Tony "K",
Have you looked at a gear reduction starter? My expreience with ALL diesel engines when the weather get a little colder it is important to get a lot of "spin". Check out youtube and do a search 782D,882, 1512 diesel start conversion. It's a 10 minute clip that is well done and you might want to consider.

I was able to start the tractor yesterday, I would like to say thanks to everyone. I basically made no changes. Just the temperature in the garage was up over 30 degrees. Also put (2) freshly charged garden tractor batteries in parallel. I plan on doing the starter conversion when I can take the tractor down for a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back