• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1512 - Fixing up the hydro - What's first

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpientka

displayname
Bernie Pientka
Hello All,

The 1512 hydro is starting to show the typical wear. It slows on hills and seem difficult to get back to neutral. With the warm warmer I did some exploring. After a pressure testing (200 psi @ charge pump and 600+ on the lift) thing seem fine pressure wise. I checked all the linkages on the pump and I think that is where my problem is. Most of the linkage is slopy and lose and can see it take 3/4 of an inch travel on the control level to make the linkage move. Now for my question. It seems like everything is loose should I just plan on replacing the three plates, both springs and welding in new spring holder on it or do people think this is over kill?

Any suggestions would be great. I know if I replace everything it should really improve things but I don't want to go overboard.

Bernie P Check <font color="ff0000">FAQ</font> above. #14... <font color="aa00aa">Charlie's FAQ </font>#14,#32, #33 . Also check that all parts are present and in useable condition. Hint... CC Parts Lookup above.

Thanks Paul,

I checked out those links. I think it may be a combination of the trunion worn and the Plate Assy (with Damper spring) having a good amount of side to side movement on the trunion shaft. I easily get over 1/4 inch of side to side movement. I still need to remove the rear fender to get a better measurement on the trunion which I hope to do later tonight.

I checked the Cam Assy Control plate and can only get 1/8" side to side play on that.

Does anyone know if you can complete Charlie's FAQ #14 with the pump in the tractor?

Bernie Pientka

There is a small clip that will have to be removed to take the plates off the hydro pump.This can be done with an offset clip pliers. I have did it but it can be a pain.All the other parts can then be changed. I did not remove the fenders .Charlie does sell shim washers for the plates to tighten them back up and I would try that first.Check the pin on the end of the rod that is connected to your brake (12) as it will wear and cause a sloppy movement and could jam.
219060.png

Finally pulled everything apart and here is want I found.

The major problem turn out to be a broken inner spring on the Trunion. I had an older one that was I able to replace it (just until I can get a new one). I put a few washers/spacers to take up some of the other slop. I have everythings back together and it is running great. I also have a list of parts that need to be ordered. I am very surprised that the spring was broken. I looked at it a bunch of times and even with a flashlight but until I took things apart I never noticed the break.

Thanks for all your help.

219233.jpg

Bernie Pientka
When I did my last hydro controls I add a flat washer on the end of item #6 on both sides and then put the springs in place. I found these washers helped on grades when driving the tractor. It would not lose speed or gain speed like it did before. The washer make everything a lot tighter. I do That now to all my hydros.
old.gif

bpientka,

I posted a question about the hydrodrive on the 1440 I picked up here in Fla. I am not sure how the posts are handled and how to determine if the post was ever received by the Forum. I have checked all of frequently asked questions and have found nothing no answers. The machine I have is a 1440 model # 145-633-100 Ser. #865 624. I bought the manual but could not find any discription of the hydrostatic drive. There is a lever located just in front of the seat on the left side that is to allow moving the tractor when it is not running without damaging the hydro. When looking at the rod going back to the drive, it appears to push in a button on the hydro unit. The tractor was running, but is not now and it appears that the rod had moved off the button. I readjusted the rod so that it would engage push in on the button when the rod was set in the position to move the tractor by hand. As I cannot find any info in the manual, maybe you can shed some light on what that control rod does and how I may check why the tractor won't move when the tractor is in the running mode (motor running). I would appreciate any info I can get to be able to check why the tractor won't move. I suspect that maybe the button is not closing to let the pressure build up in the hydro unit and therefore no movement. Any help would be appreciated. rfdavis

Richard,

Having never seen the 1440 hydrolinkage I don't really have an answer for you. You may want to look at things in the Parts Break down (See top of page for parts break down). Look at Transmission controls and transmission dump value sections. This might help with how things go together. Good luck.

Back