• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

14hs 321a is to tight

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try Jim's suggestion of trying the old piston if you have it. If that works, your new pistons are no good.

I work in a machine shop but don't have an od grinder if I wanted to do the crank. Before I take it somewhere I'm gonna take the rod to work,set it up in a mill and indicate it in,that will tell me how round that bore is....and I agree,I need a Kohler piston

Want to hear about a bad morning? I went to the shop and indicated the piston skirt in relation to the pin bore,it was all good. Then I started in on the rod. Since the rod was binding on the crank without a piston I knew it was in the bore. It dawned on me I was checking that bore only snugging the rod bolts and not torqueing them,sure enough the bore was size for size with the crank journal. So I set it up on a mill and bored out.002 clearance. As I was taking the bolts out one side stripped...game over! All I can think since that rod and crank came out of a running engine is whoever rebuilt it just snugged the bolts enough for it all to turn with no torque. Could explain the knock it had...got to get a new rod

Good things about your morning:
-You now have an answer, and a direction.
-You didn’t put that rod in and run it ...and it didn’t break!
-You get to go to a machine shop on a Sunday, and accomplish something instead of being met by a locked door.
-You’re closer to an operational Cub Cadet than you were last evening.
-You get to begin a hunt for a new rod.
-You don’t have to figure out where else you might have spent those rod dollars.
-You already told me where you work, so you don’t have to explain to me that you are not the Robert Allison in my work contacts.

Last edited:
That was meant to lift his spirits, but I’m pleased that it gave someone a chuckle.

sorry for those have seen me say this over n over butt.............

WASH THE BLOCK AND PARTS.... really really good.... stupid me thought i had it clean and had to rip it apart and clean up the rod and piston from not having it clean enough ..
yeah yeah i know that they say ... will i knew it to lol... with the stress of rebuilding .. tryin to remember everything ..
hot soap and water ... wd40 or p oil after .. to stop the rust.

That’s great news! Have fun.
You are so lucky you didn’t run that about-to-break unit!

So I get home from work and there's a box on the deck with my new rod. I measure everything again,just to make sure,and put the new piston back on and install the rod to the crankshaft,torque it to specs and YES YES YES,the motor spins by hand! Torque the head back on and put in the plug and YES the motor spins,yippee! I'll be trying to start this thing in the morning!

0430211745_Film1.jpg
ahhhh,its back in...finally!

Back