• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

14hs 321a is to tight

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAllison

IHCC Supporter
I've recently rebuilt the 321 out of my147 and everytime I torque the rod to the crankshaft I can't turn the motor. The crank measures 1,498 and the rod has .001 to .002 clearance,is that not enough?

Have you checked the clearance all the way around? One or the other may be out of round.
...wow that stinks. Good luck!

Did you use Plastigage, or measure?

In multiple places around?

No offense intended, but using and reading a mic are tricky. Are you confident? I train people frequently that struggle mightily with the technique.

And I have not read the specs in a manual for about 15 years, so I don’t remember if that is enough clearance.

Last edited:
With the piston out, it should be easy enough to bolt them back together, and see if the rod is free then. Could there be a width problem? Rod or cap wider than the crank journal surface?

Did you have the crank turned? Maybe the shop didn’t go straight, or wide enough.

Or are you saying both the rod and crank were a matched set, and now they don’t match?

Have you tried torquing the rod onto the crank outside of the block?

If the rod moves freely on the crank out of the block, I would guess you have an alignment problem with the bore.

You're thinking like I'm thinking...but that's for tomorrow. I'll post how it goes and agree,I may have some kind of alignment problem. I did tighten it on a same size shaft at work and it rotated,but the crankshaft is next

Sure wish we didn’t have to think this way.
It’s time for me to go change the Hytran.

not sure on the 321. but on a K241, you can reverse the rod cap, and the crank won't get oil.
Perhaps the rod cap has to be on a certain direction to work on the 321???

I think RayF is on the right track. You can reverse the cap on the rod. Then it will bind.

There should be index marks on the rod and cap so they can be installed in the correct orientation and (Correct me if I am wrong) I am thinking you want the oil hole in the cap to be on the camshaft side of the assembly. Doesn't the piston also have to be oriented properly or else it will 'slap' as it goes up and down?

I questioned him on using a micrometer, but I assumed he got the rod and cap on properly. I do think the piston must be indexed correctly just like the rod and cap. I was not aware the rod might bind if installed improperly.

Robert, check the manual, and verify installation directions of rod, cap, and piston.

I agree with the others...I think you have the rod cap on bassackwards and/or the rings have no end gap.

There are match marks on the rod and cap that need to match up, and the oil hole needs to point towards the cam.

Latest posts

Back