• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

14hs 321a is to tight

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robert,
I’m still stuck on finding out if the problem is width, or diameter. Do you have Plastigage? Does the rod/cap combo feel bound against the edges, or around the journal?

No I don't,I don't even know how to use it. The rod and crank rotate with everything facing the right way and the piston off. Once I put the piston on ( which does slide in the bore) and torque the cap...it's all bound again

You see rub marks on the edge of the rod, cap, or crank thrust surface?

/\ Plastigage is a thin bead of compressible plastic that you place across a crank journal surface, then install the bearing cap, torque to spec, and remove cap again. The package Has a scale to read the clearance according to how wide the strip has become. It can also tell you if the clearances are even, or tapered. There are different sizes.

I guess I have a question for anyone that knows. When I bought this block it had cast flanges on the bottom of it that I had to saw off so it would fit down in the frame. The block wound up being out of a John Deere, is the block configuration somehow different ?

Yes, many auto parts stores carry Plastigage.

Is that piston new, or being reused? Standard, or oversized? Brand? Any chance it’s crooked/defective?

Could the block have been bored crooked?

Please share as many details as you can think of. Now it’s a Deere block. I think Deere blocks have been used in Cub Cadets before.

You say you had end play within spec. When the crank/rod/piston is ”locked up“ Is the bearing plate on, or do you still have the crankcase open?

Where are these rub marks :
it was rubbing on the outside edges of the rod bore

Rod to block? Rod to crank?

I read through this again. You are using the old crank and rod but you didn't say if you have a new piston. When you put it together in the block, look at the piston end of the rod and see if there is about equal clearance on both sides of the rod to the piston bosses. I think the rod is getting shifted all the way to one side and binding when you tighten it. Don't know if this could be because of a difference in the block or if it's a new piston it could be bad.

You sure have my interest. If you were on the Southern end of IN, I would love to come help with this in person.

New standard piston. So the block was not bored, maybe just cleaned up a bit? Where is the old piston...does it fit? I’d take a used Kohler piston over a new aftermarket most times.

Were both pistons you tried new aftermarket? It could be the pin holes aren't bored square to the piston. I would have thought bent rod but you tried another with the same result. Were the rub marks on the rod at the top on one side and bottom on the other?

The block came just that,a block. I bought it cause the motor I took out was already bored.030 over and on the outer limits of that,plus it had a knock. This block is within factory specs and all I did was cross hatch it lightly

Back