• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

149 with mechanical lift

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgunn

displayname
David W Gunn
Were 149s ever supplied from the factory with mechanical lifts? I know some 169s were but I never heard of a parts shortage causing 149s to be equipped with anything other than the hydraulic lift.

I’ve never seen one. 149 came stock with hydraulics. I suppose someone could order it without but why??
I called out a guy on FB Marketplace that is selling a parts tractor which he said was a 149. It The photo clearly showed a mechanical lift arm so I told him it must be a 109 or 129. He came clean and said he had parted out the hydraulics from the 149 and threw a spare mechanical lift on it for functionality. However, as is always the case other people on FB had to throw in their two cents including one guy that said IH ran short of lift components on the 149 just like they had on the 169. I had never heard that before and I think he was talking out his ***.

I called out a guy on FB Marketplace that is selling a parts tractor which he said was a 149. It The photo clearly showed a mechanical lift arm so I told him it must be a 109 or 129. He came clean and said he had parted out the hydraulics from the 149 and threw a spare mechanical lift on it for functionality. However, as is always the case other people on FB had to throw in their two cents including one guy that said IH ran short of lift components on the 149 just like they had on the 169. I had never heard that before and I think he was talking out his ***.

David - I have to say you're correct. As I understand it, IH introduced the 169 in mid-1974 due to market pressures for MORE HP. As the story goes, most if not all were produced with Manual lifts due to some type of shortage of hydraulic lift components. It seems logical that to control the shortage issue IH limited it to a specific model (i.e. 169). And to use some reverse logic, if the 149 was produced withOUT the hydraulic lift then IH would also have produced the instructions to add it like they did here for the 169.
Tell those FB guys to Buzz Off.
You got the real story from:
Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die
(they just find another resting place)

Attachments

• 169 Hydraulics Add-On Setup.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 350
David - I have to say you're correct. As I understand it, IH introduced the 169 in mid-1974 due to market pressures for MORE HP. As the story goes, most if not all were produced with Manual lifts due to some type of shortage of hydraulic lift components. It seems logical that to control the shortage issue IH limited it to a specific model (i.e. 169). And to use some reverse logic, if the 149 was produced withOUT the hydraulic lift then IH would also have produced the instructions to add it like they did here for the 169.
Tell those FB guys to Buzz Off.
You got the real story from:
Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die
(they just find another resting place)
Thanks for the validation Hydro Harry. The guy on FB that I was having the disagreement with is an active seller of tractor equipment on Long Island.

Thanks for the validation Hydro Harry. The guy on FB that I was having the disagreement with is an active seller of tractor equipment on Long Island.

Well David - there are several good and knowledgeable tractor people on Long Island that I have some awareness of. But like almost all of us they DON'T know everything. :fencing:

Hello, I'm new here and just bought my first 149. It doesn't have a hydraulic lift or headlights. It's the only one I have seen without them. I bought it from the original owner with the original paperwork. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Does the serial number/machine code VERIFY that it actually IS a 149??
Does the serial number/machine code VERIFY that it actually IS a 149??
I'm trying to find the serial number on the left side of the rear end. The tag is gone. All the paperwork the old man had says it is a 149. He bought it new. I have only had it a couple of weeks and haven't had time to tear into it. Is the serial number anywhere else to be found? Thanks

Back