• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

149 Tiller installation

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Stoline

I bought a 149 recently, mows very well, purchased a push blade for winter. The tractor came with wheel chains, so I am seeking wheel weights and the part number for the correct ones for my tractor. I want to get a tiller on as well, and I have no idea where to start... which tiller, mount , lift, instructions, etc. Thanks.

Ben, WELCOME!

Any garden tractor wheel weight designed for 12" diameter rims should work fine. Here's what the cast iron IH Cub Cadet weights look like:

IH Weight_01.jpg

IH Weight_02.jpg

Here's some other styles that will fit:

Weight_01.jpg

Weight_03.jpg

These are John Deere weights:

Weight-JD_02.jpg

There are plenty of other styles that will fit.

To mount a tiller you will need a rear lift. For the 149 the lift looks like this:

1x8-9 Rear Lift_01.jpg

Make sure that you get all the main parts shown, sometimes that little bracket, shown at the upper right, is missing as it is often left on the tractor. Thankfully there are people that are making reproduction parts so it is available separately.

Here's the Installation Manual:

Attachments

• WF 3PT Install.pdf
    411.4 KB · Views: 243
There are three different tillers that will fit, the "No. 1", the "No. 1A", and the "No. 2", any of them will fit.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the No. 1 and the No. 1A, both are 26" tilling width, with two extensions available (one for each side) to make it 32" or 38" tilling width. The No. 2 is standard with 38" tilling width. Here's a brochure/datasheet for the No. 2 Tiller:

No2RotaryTillerData01.jpg

No2RotaryTillerData02.jpg

Here are links to the manuals for each:

Tiller No. 1

Tiller No.1A

Tiller No. 2

Kraig and Matt - ok, so for the Model 2B or not 2B, I think it should be on the list but with an asterisk*. I'm quite certain there are some Model 2B* units out there that already have the drive pulley switched over to the narrower 3/8" belt pulley. Ben would have to look at the drive pulley (the one on the bottom of the right angle gear box) and see if it's for a narrow 3/8" belt or the wide 5/8" belt.

And I agree with what Matt said about finding one with the right drive pulley. Seems the correct 3/8" drive pulley (with that long shoulder) is really hard to find. Pretty certain CC Specialties hasn't had them for quite some time, but suppose Charlie will let us know.

Thanks for all the help. I found some wheel weights. I will round up the lift parts and the tiller this fall and install it over the winter. The belt drive on the front is called 'the Mule drive', yes? The install instructions state that I have to change out the stamped idlers with solid steel ones, I will have to check those. Are they both the same diameter?

The drive on the front of the engine is called the Power Take Off, (PTO) - the mule is the part that turns the belt 90 degrees, and yes, you'll need the solid pulleys as the stamped steel ones will probably give up the ghost soon after you start tilling. And also the pulley that is spring tensioned on the mule drive is normally replaced with a bolt fastener ( on some models anyway )... HTH

OK another question: Is there any difference for narrow frame and wide frame for the lift assembly? Are the lifts different, and if so how so?

To mount a tiller you will need a rear lift. For the 149 the lift looks like this:

View attachment 145680

Make sure that you get all the main parts shown, sometimes that little bracket, shown at the upper right, is missing as it is often left on the tractor. Thankfully there are people that are making reproduction parts so it is available separately.

Here's the Installation Manual:
I have the lift pins with slot for the tiller and the NF & WF lift bar plates available if needed.

Back