• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

149 that had a starter/Generator new 16 hp motor with a stator question

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mheil

displayname
Michael Heil
Hello - I have a 149 that had a starter/Generator but is locked up ( look forward to digging into that) I now have a new (to me) 16 hp motor with a stator to install into the 149 tractor. The new motor has an electric starter on it as well and a rectifier. My question is this, do I connect the output of the rectifier to the same place that the voltage regulator outputs too and that's all there is to it? No need to run through the voltage regulator...right? View attachment 151112View attachment 151113Oh there's more questions but lets start with that.
Thanks for any help.

View attachment 151112View attachment 151113

Hello - I have a 149 that had a starter/Generator but is locked up ( look forward to digging into that) I now have a new (to me) 16 hp motor with a stator to install into the 149 tractor. The new motor has an electric starter on it as well and a rectifier. My question is this, do I connect the output of the rectifier to the same place that the voltage regulator outputs too and that's all there is to it? No need to run through the voltage regulator...right? View attachment 151112View attachment 151113Oh there's more questions but lets start with that.
Thanks for any help.

View attachment 151112View attachment 151113
So your saying it has an AQS engine in it?

It may well be, I am not sure as it did not come to me with the original sheet metal. It was a short block that a "guy" I know built and installed into a 147, he than sold that tractor a kept the motor. His Dad just passed and they were super close so I don't want to bug him.

It may well be, I am not sure as it did not come to me with the original sheet metal. It was a short block that a "guy" I know built and installed into a 147, he than sold that tractor a kept the motor. His Dad just passed and they were super close so I don't want to bug him.
Well post a pic so we can see what ya got. 👍

Will do!

Meanwhile the question is can I just connect the output from the rectifier to the "B" wire off of the voltage regulator
(eliminating the voltage regulator)? I'm thinking that I can.

Where might I find sheet metal for the K341?

For the sheetmetal, you should try R.F. Houtz a sponsor above. Refresh the page if their ad is not showing.

Attachments

• RF Houtz sponsor box.jpg
    RF Houtz sponsor box.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 0
Meanwhile the question is can I just connect the output from the rectifier to the "B" wire off of the voltage regulator
(eliminating the voltage regulator)? I'm thinking that I can.
I wouldn't. The ignition switches are different. The tractors with the regulator/rectifier charging system have a 4th terminal on the ignition switch that is only connected to the battery when the switch is on, and only the charging wire from the rectifier connects to it. The "B" wire is hot all the time on the starter/generator equipped tractors. The wiring diagrams are on this site here...compare a 149 to a 1250/1450/1650 to see the differences. There are quite a few.

Well if you look at both schematics (the way I read them) you have charge voltage for the battery supplied through the amp gauge to the ignition on both systems. It seems to me that on both systems the key switch has 3 positions which tells me that position 1 everything is hot except to the starter. We'll see once I get it together.
1663261968009.png

Yes so neat isn't it? The only problem is the regulator will run the tractor until it happens to drop out of charging. Hence the four pole switch.

Yes so neat isn't it? The only problem is the regulator will run the tractor until it happens to drop out of charging. Hence the four pole switch.
What do you mean it will run the tractor?

BTW Than you for the replies.. :)

Thank you for that information. I am however not able to see that path. Problem 1 is when the key is off the motor will not be running hence the stator will not be outputting electricity. On the diagram (see above ) for the 149 I would connect to the B terminal (with the Rectifier/Regulator output) on the ignition switch. I think the system will see the same condition as with the starter/Generator system. I am under the impression that on the starter switch post B connects to post I when you turn the ignition on post S is the momentary position that does not latch.

In order to be safe the engine you are talking about needs to be wired correctly. The appropriate wiring diagram was shared with you. .

Thank you Sir I appreciate your comments. I believe what I am planning is perfectly safe. Look at it as an upgrade that isn't listed in the books. Thank you for all of your assistance. Have a great day and enjoy the on coming fall. (my favorite). :)

Having the wire that goes to the the rectifier output always hot, regardless of ignition switch position, is not an "upgrade". The tractors with this style charging system do not do this, hence the different ignition switch. It is not as safe having that wire hot all the time as it would be wired correctly with it disconnected from power when everything is off.

Mheil thank you for wasting my time and others. You asked a question and then scolded us for the insight on running a later engine .

It's the ignition switch... I need to use a 4 pole ignition switch so that the rectifier is not seeing constant voltage from the battery... I need the A terminal on the 4 pole switch to isolate the rectifier from battery during non run conditions. Brain said it but I did not catch it at first., than Matt said it also. I think adding the 4 pole switch would make it safe...?

Last edited:
Back