• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

149 Hydro Speed lever Removal

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vthomley

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Vincent Thomley
How am I getting Hydro lever off from my dash on this 149? I have the set screw out, I have a pitman arm tool wedged under this, it has not budged yet.

I started working on this after owning it for a couple years. I have not worked on my Cub Cadet much in the past several years.

Where is my custom bolt for taking off the steering wheel? I have moved 2 times since using it

Attachments

• 149-1.jpg
    149-1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 274
Tap it farther on gently with a hammer to break loose any corrosion between the splines on the handle and the splines on the shaft. Once it has broken free, then pry it up. It might even lift off with a little back and forth wobbling after the hammer hits.

How am I getting Hydro lever off from my dash on this 149? I have the set screw out, I have a pitman arm tool wedged under this, it has not budged yet.

I started working on this after owning it for a couple years. I have not worked on my Cub Cadet much in the past several years.

Where is my custom bolt for taking off the steering wheel? I have moved 2 times since using it
Here's what I use.
1585249482796.png

Vince, try the method I mentioned, you may not need the puller or slide hammer. Art Aytay is the one I learned it from and it works quite well.

I did a variation on Kraig's method. With the tunnel cover removed. I disconnected the hydro tie rod linkage ball joint and removed the two bolts attaching the hydro lever splined shaft assy to the frame. This allowed me to move hydro lever assy up/down and you can spray penetrating oil on the splines. I then set the a handle back down on the dash plate and hammered on the lower end of the splined shaft to break it loose and work it out of the handle. This way worked well as I didn't bugger up the dash tin which a pry bar would do.

When I reinstalled the handle, I coated the splines with never-seize compound.

Thanks Kraig, the lever popped off with persuasion after hitting it with a hammer. The Steering wheel popped right off with the tried and true 5/8-18 Nut and Bolt trick once again.

Dave I did spray loosey goosey spray penentrant in the hole yesterday, last night, and again this morning, sprayed the steering wheel nut the same time, thanks.

Hey, good deal!
Now all Ya gotta do is figure out where all the slop is coming from.
I had to replace both tie rod ends, the left hand thread one and the right hand thread one on the DanCo 149 when I restored that several year ago.
Pretty much when through the whole works on that one and it works like a charm now.
Even though I didn't get to use it much this past wimpy winter we had!!

Well, its torn down more than i was ready for. Guess that has happened to all of us as some point. wow this thing was greasy grimmy gritty and dirty, And rusty too. I think it will be better is a couple weeks, along with a couple parts orders from the man!

Attachments

• 149-2.jpg
    149-2.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 198
You are into it now for sure!!
Try and find out where all the oil is coming from if possible.
I know where you are coming from!
I sure can't stand working on something that is all filthy like that.

Back