• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

149 hydro Problem

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rMark

I recently picked up a 149. The hydro lever drifted to full speed without keeping your hand on it. Halfway through mowing the lawn it stopped. No deck lift, no forward or reverse. Where should I start looking for the problem? I am totally new to hydro

The control lever has a tension/friction adjustment, there were two different styles, here's a link to the service manual, see below. Page 78 of the file (page 2-55 on the actual page) is where the info on the adjustment starts. As for the no forward, reverse or hydraulic lift, it sounds like you sheared a spirol pin in the drive shaft coupler. A spirol pin aka coiled roll pin is stronger than a roll pin and should be used to replace the sheared pin. Never use a bolt or solid pin either as they do not absorb the shock and can wallow out the hole in the coupler and or shaft. Page 75 (2-52) of the service manual shows where the spirol pin is located. It's under the tunnel cover just ahead of the seat. If you remove the tunnel cover and carefully observe with the engine running the input shaft to the hydrostatic pump is likely not turning, if this is the case then the spirol pin is sheared.

1x8-9 & Quiet Line Service Manual

rMark - the info provided by Kraig is great but he may have forgotten the front pin connecting the drive shaft to the engine is a solid dowl pin. I believe it's more common for the front pin to break or slide out giving you the same symptoms you have now. There is a pic of the front pin on file Page 66 (manual page marked 2-43) pic numbered FESM-6553.

Since it sounds like you're 149 is stuck out in the middle of your yard. I'd start with following Kraig's suggestion to remove the center frame cover and have a look/see at the spirol pin at the rear of the driveshaft. If that pin appears to be in place but the drive shaft is not turning when the engine is running then your front dowl pin is almost certainly broken or slipped out. To view the front pin you'll have to remove one of the side panel covers (that is bolted to the frame and gas tank support).

If the dowl pin is missing you can use a nut and bolt as a temporary fix but just to be able to move the tractor into your work shop or garage or location where you'll work on it. The engine drive plate hub that holds the pin to the engine will likely have a slot worn in it and need to be replaced (or welded up which is not easily done).

Now, if the dowl pin is in place and the drive shaft appears to be turning then it could be the spirol pin at the rear connection is broken. The drive shaft will be turning but the shaft on the hydrostatic charge pump will not be rotating. This will be hard to see so have a good study of the pic numbered FESM-6552 on file Page 66 (2-43). You can just see a little of the charge pump shaft going thru the coupler.

Hope this info helps.

The control lever has a tension/friction adjustment, there were two different styles, here's a link to the service manual, see below. Page 78 of the file (page 2-55 on the actual page) is where the info on the adjustment starts. As for the no forward, reverse or hydraulic lift, it sounds like you sheared a spirol pin in the drive shaft coupler. A spirol pin aka coiled roll pin is stronger than a roll pin and should be used to replace the sheared pin. Never use a bolt or solid pin either as they do not absorb the shock and can wallow out the hole in the coupler and or shaft. Page 75 (2-52) of the service manual shows where the spirol pin is located. It's under the tunnel cover just ahead of the seat. If you remove the tunnel cover and carefully observe with the engine running the input shaft to the hydrostatic pump is likely not turning, if this is the case then the spirol pin is sheared.

1x8-9 & Quiet Line Service Manual
I recently picked up a 149. The hydro lever drifted to full speed without keeping your hand on it. Halfway through mowing the lawn it stopped. No deck lift, no forward or reverse. Where should I start looking for the problem? I am totally new to hydro
You guys were right, the pin in the drive shaft coupler broke. I put a bolt through it until I can get a new one hopefully tomorrow. Yes, it was sitting in the middle of my front yard (128 in back yard) with the wifey freaking out about the grass. I'll let you know how tightening the speed lever goes. I really don't want the tractor to be out of commission right now. Thanks a lot for helping me guys

you need a 1/4" spirol pin, not the split pins you find in a hardware store.
But then,..... if the holes in the driveshaft and coupler are worn badly, .....even that may just fall out.

Back