• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

149 front axle spacer question

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jurbaniak

displayname
Johnnyu
how can grease enter the spacer when there is no hole drilled in it to enter. The press in fitting on both sides are clear. What am i missing? Thanks

No need for grease to enter the steering knuckle spacer as it is clamped, or supposed to be, to the knuckle with the bolt and rotates with the knuckle inside the axle end where it lives.
If the bolt turns INSIDE the spacer something is amiss.
The bolt should have a castle nut and be drilled to accept a cotter key so it can't come loose.

Should not be a "press in fit" as you mentioned.
Should be a slip in fit.
Disassemble, clean the spacer and the inside of the axle end where it fits (wire brush if needed), lube well and reinstall

The knuckle spacer should almost fall though the axle.
Don't forget the grease passages on the bottom of the axle. These allow the grease to get where it's needed as this is the spot where all the weight bears and the reason for the the grease. You may have to grind them a little deeper if there is a lot of wear in them.

Last edited:
David
I thank you for your fast response and help. I used the wrong term referring to the grease fittings, they are the drive type not press in sorry. l'll drive both spacers out and follow your advise. Again thank you l really appreciate the information on this forum.

The spacers need to be just a hair longer than the hole they slide into so when the bolt through and into the knuckle is tightened with the nut the whole assembly (knuckle, bolt and spacer) will turn freely as an assembly inside the axle end.

No need to remove the grease fittings unless they are damaged and wont take grease. With the spacer removed shoot a little grease through them to clean 'em out.

Back