Kirk Engines, Inc Cub Cadet Used Parts CADET CONNECTION Cub Cadet Specialties Cub Cadet Specialties

149 dying out

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Forum:

bhoffman1973

I mow about 2 acres with my 149 and a 50A mower deck. Last week, after about 30 min of mowing, it began laboring, eventually began to pop and sputter, and would die out. I could disengage the mower deck and slow the throttle down and it would clear itself up to run smoothly but I couldn't run it under load.
I reset the carb (Walbro) to factory settings and made sure everything is running smoothly with no load. Yesterday, I made another attempt but after about 2 or 3 min of running fine with the mower deck engaged, it began the same thing and eventually choked itself out. Again, it will clear itself up and run just fine under no load. The mower deck spins easily by hand.
I posed this question in a forum on FB and was told to check the coil for overheating or possibly head gasket. Yesterday, the coil was warm but certainly not hot (again, it had only run for a few min). Any thoughts or ideas? Thank you! My grass continues to grow

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
I mow about 2 acres with my 149 and a 50A mower deck. Last week, after about 30 min of mowing, it began laboring, eventually began to pop and sputter, and would die out. I could disengage the mower deck and slow the throttle down and it would clear itself up to run smoothly but I couldn't run it under load.
I reset the carb (Walbro) to factory settings and made sure everything is running smoothly with no load. Yesterday, I made another attempt but after about 2 or 3 min of running fine with the mower deck engaged, it began the same thing and eventually choked itself out. Again, it will clear itself up and run just fine under no load. The mower deck spins easily by hand.
I posed this question in a forum on FB and was told to check the coil for overheating or possibly head gasket. Yesterday, the coil was warm but certainly not hot (again, it had only run for a few min). Any thoughts or ideas? Thank you! My grass continues to grow
Change the condenser. It's that or a sticking valve.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
I second Digger's thought that it's the condenser. A failing condenser will certainly cause those symptoms. BTDT

btaner

displayname
b taner
After sitting in my shed for a short time, mice build a nest under the tins, runs real hot and soon runs bad.

Ken Black

head gasket...

as btaner said... maybe mice got under tins and built a condo.... it over heats and head lifts. when cools down head shrinks ... runs fine for a few mins then bang pop tinny sounds..

Latest posts