• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

149 cub

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecaye

displayname
Ed
Hi
Everyone it’s been awhile since I posted anything. I had some medical issues. I have a question about a cub cadet 149. The governor worked its way out. I didn’t realize this I thought it was just a carburetor issue. I honestly have never had to play with the governor so I just screwed it back in. The tractor now runs at low idle but if you put it at a high idle the tractor wants to run away RPM wise. Thanks in advance happy holidays everyone

1st off....The part you screwed in, was it a brass bushing or a small phillips head screw??

When you remove the governor arm, does the cross shaft just spin all the way around?
If so, the tang that rests against the governor, keeping it in place has broken off and your governor is probably in a million pieces laying in the bottom of the pan. It's just a plastic gear w/2 metal weights.

The part you screwed in is likely the bushing for that shaft.
Hard to tell from your description.

Is the governor stop pin still in place?
That is the small phillips head screw next to the governor shaft with a small copper washer under the head.
Is that what you are referring to?
That is the stop pin that keeps the governor in place from falling off.

If the governor cross shaft only spins so far CCW and bumps up against the governor, meaning the tang is still in place, all you should have to do is re-adjust the governor per the instructions you can find in the Kohler service manual which is available in the manual section for down load.

You will likely have to remove the pan and take a look see inside to really find what is going on if the shaft spins freely.
The governor gear is the 1st thing that has to go into the engine when rebuilding it. Therefore, it is the last part that gets removed during dis-assembly.

Last edited:
Hi
Everyone it’s been awhile since I posted anything. I had some medical issues. I have a question about a cub cadet 149. The governor worked its way out. I didn’t realize this I thought it was just a carburetor issue. I honestly have never had to play with the governor so I just screwed it back in. The tractor now runs at low idle but if you put it at a high idle the tractor wants to run away RPM wise. Thanks in advance happy holidays everyone
This will get ya started. Cub Cadet FAQ

1st off....The part you screwed in, was it a brass bushing or a small phillips head screw??

When you remove the governor arm, does the cross shaft just spin all the way around?
If so, the tang that rests against the governor, keeping it in place has broken off and your governor is probably in a million pieces laying in the bottom of the pan. It's just a plastic gear w/2 metal weights.

The part you screwed in is likely the bushing for that shaft.
Hard to tell from your description.

Is the governor stop pin still in place?
That is the small phillips head screw next to the governor shaft with a small copper washer under the head.
Is that what you are referring to?
That is the stop pin that keeps the governor in place from falling off.

If the governor cross shaft only spins so far CCW and bumps up against the governor, meaning the tang is still in place, all you should have to do is re-adjust the governor per the instructions you can find in the Kohler service manual which is available in the manual section for down load.

You will likely have to remove the pan and take a look see inside to really find what is going on if the shaft spins freely.
The governor gear is the 1st thing that has to go into the engine when rebuilding it. Therefore, it is the last part that gets removed during dis-assembly.

Thank you

Digger
The information you gave me was exactly what I needed. Thank you again

Latest posts

Back