• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

149 Cub Hydro Driveshaft problems...

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfrederick

displayname
Justin Frederick
Well I am a newbie here, been reading on the site for a while and wanted to ask a tech question...

I have a 149 Cub and I have been snapping the driveshaft pins like crazy. So I put on a new driveshaft, rag joint at the hydro, new coupler on the engine...etc. Pin still snapped after mowing twice with it...

Engine mounts are perfect on this thing, everything is aligned properly. So now I run a double roll pin and a hose clamp around the coupler to keep the pin from slipping out.

I am curious to know if there is any way I could modify this driveshaft, or put on a newer drive shaft to eliminate these pins? I mow all season with this tractor, I plow snow with it, I pull about a 1500lb packing wheel with it...I use this thing all the time. The engine is fresh and this Cub is all original...fun tractor, but not fun when you are stuck in the yard because of a cheap pin...any driveshaft suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

You'll get more responses in the main forum because the 149 is a garden tractor and not a lawn tractor.

Which pin(s) are you breaking? The front pin is a hardened steel dowel pin, not a roll pin. The rest of the pins are coiled spring pins, not to be confused with weaker roll pins. Put the correct parts in there and it should last quite awhile.

Hello Matt,

I will put this over in that forum...gotta get used to where posts should be put..

The front pin is the one that breaks. I have broken many of the hardened steel pins. So I use a double roll pin now. I used a coil spring pin and that broke too, so now I use a double roll pin.

Back