• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

147 hood latches

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAllison

IHCC Supporter
The hood latches on my147 won't latch down. My question is do they wear out or do I have something out of whack? I have adjusted them up and down. Does anyone have some insight before I get with Digger to get some new ones?

What's going on there Bob?
Are they just stretched out and hanging loose when latched or what.
If that's the case, a little more padding under the hood where it touches the dash panel is in order.

Yeah they're hanging there loose instead of snapping down,hood ratting is driving me nuts. I'll try that when I get home,thanks Dave.
Yeah they're hanging there loose instead of snapping down,hood ratting is driving me nuts. I'll try that when I get home,thanks Dave.
Replace the rubber hood bumpers. ;-)
That foam window/door seal from the hardware store works good for that.

1629984888611.png

Looked at the hood when I got home. I had used that weather stripping as a bumper so I doubled it up. The latches still don't snap down but the whole thing has snugged up well enough that it doesn't rattle anymore.

# 4 is the part where the hood rest, loosen the 4 bolts and it moves up and down.

Robert - that part #4 in the diagram is the hood support bracket. If you move it up to much your decals will be out of alignment :)
I'm actually thinking the hood latches have slotted holes where the mounting screws go, so you might be able to adjust them a little. But I could be wrong. :)

The hood latches on my147 won't latch down. My question is do they wear out or do I have something out of whack? I have adjusted them up and down. Does anyone have some insight before I get with Digger to get some new ones?
Or you could do like I did and remove the latches and install a piece of black automotive door edge protector that makes a snug fit when you close the hood and also stops all the rattling noise. See attached pics.

Attachments

• D7A04B76-C8E9-43EF-BF2E-F28B087AB4AF.jpeg
    D7A04B76-C8E9-43EF-BF2E-F28B087AB4AF.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 156
  • 8EBFF371-3445-438E-9A33-915513AC3E79.jpeg
    8EBFF371-3445-438E-9A33-915513AC3E79.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 140
Or you could do like I did and remove the latches and install a piece of black automotive door edge protector that makes a snug fit when you close the hood and also stops all the rattling noise. See attached pics.

Eventually that stuff will wear right into the fiberglass dash panel If the firewall piece is not adjusted to the hood so the hood is not touching the dash itself.

Take a look at nearly every 82 series where there is no adjustment and the dash panel edges are nearly worn through or mostly missing

The original metal latches already caused significant damage to the fiberglass dash. After removing the latches and installing the vinyl edge guard I haven't noticed any other damage. I find it interesting that some people will bash a new idea even without even trying it!

I don't need to try it.
It is obvious what will happen to the dash cowl with something rubbing on it constantly
The back of the hood should not even touch the cowl.
Proper adjustment of the rear hood support and installation of the correct hood bumpers will keep it in the right spot.
That stuff with the wire core will indeed wreck the dash cowl eventually.

Typical 82 series cowl W/O rear hood support.
126 w/proper hood support and adjustment

Attachments

• DSCN8458.JPG
    DSCN8458.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN8459.JPG
    DSCN8459.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN8460 (2).JPG
    DSCN8460 (2).JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I used a wide foam door seal on mine. No more hood rattle and it makes a nice lip between the hood and the dash.

Attachments

• IMG_0585.jpeg
    IMG_0585.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0586.jpeg
    IMG_0586.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I cut grass without my hearing aid. The engine is loud enough to squelch any hood noises or rattling so I don't notice or care about it. JMO.

Back