• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1450 resto

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
23A97B9B-ABF0-4A35-9F56-3137D21D555A.jpeg

I would suggest to spend some quality time researching on this site. The frequently asked questions have a lot of info there also. That would be a good place to start. :bluethumbsup:

Hey Stephen - welcome to the Forum. This is the best place on the net to find info for your 1450 (which just happens to be one of my favorite IHCC Garden Tractors).

Maybe we can get Kraig (Oh Great One, Keeper of the Photos) to move your thread to the Garden Tractor section.

Couple things for you to know to help get you started:

IH made many many types of tractors including "Cub" tractors, "Cub Cadet" Garden Tractors, and "Cadet" Lawn Tractors. (As Charlie aka "Digger", already noted your model 1450 is a Cub Cadet "Garden Tractor").

Your 1450 is part of what's called the "Quiet Line" (sometimes QL or just Quiet) series of Cub Cadet models. It was the first series to use full enclosure side panels. If you didn't already download a Service Manual you'll find it under the "1x8/9 & QL Service Manual link at http://ccmanuals.info/pdf/1x8-9 & QL Service Manual.pdf

In looking at your pics I see what appears to be an extra sticker on the top section of the flywheel shroud. It looks like it may be a sticker used for a replacement short block or even a complete engine. Please post an enlarged pic of this tag so we can see what you have. The original engine ID tag would normally be on the side of the flywheel shroud below and to the right of the carburetor, and partially obscured by the frame.

Looks like you did pick up a nice 1450. I can see a 44 or 50 deck off to the side in one of your pics, and you have what I think is a Model 2 tiller with both extensions, and a set of original IH cast iron wheel weights. I also see some pretty hard and typical Pennsylvania "rust" on the hood, side panels and front wheels - and boy is that rust hard. Hopefully it's not real pitted.

Also (under edit) - I see you just posted in the Wanted looking for front wheel weights and Matt replied IH never made them. I can't tell from your pics if you have an early or later production 1450. If it's early you'll have a cast iron lower grill housing and I doubt you really need more weight in the front. The later production 1450's had an aluminum lower grill housing and I could pop scary wheelies on a model 1200. If you don't have the cast iron version I'm sure you could find a used one.

Hope this info helps you get started with your restoration.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (they just find another resting place)

Last edited:
Seeing as this is a "resto" thread, I moved it to the "Refurbish & Restorations" forum area.

Here's a link to the Cub Cadet FAQ entry on the ISO motor mounts with details on adding the cross member to the ISO mount rails.

Well Stephen - all the information to determine the year of your tractor can be found in documents on the Forum but you have to search the FAQ's, etc., as Marty suggested. But to help you out here are some details.

To start with you have to decipher the entire serial number "2050660U566692" to understand it. The first 3 digits are the IH "Kind Code" and yours are 205 which indicates "Cub Cadet" Garden Tractor. The next 4 digits are the "Machine Code" and yours are 0660 which identifies it as a model 1450. The letter "U" indicates the tractor was Made in the U.S.A. All the digits after the letter U are sequential running numbers of all Cub Cadets built (meaning your tractor is the 566,692 built). According to the monthly production chart your tractor was built during the month of Oct. 1975 (when Cub Cadet serial numbers 565,627 thru 568,450 were built).

Now, to determine when your Engine was built I had to refer to an actual Kohler K Series Service Manual since the IH Engine Service Manual does not include the details about when engines were built, etc. Based on your engine Serial No. 2511716003 and my Kohler Service Manual your engine was manufactured in 1995 (which is 20 years after the tractor was built). I'm guessing it's a complete replacement engine (as opposed to a short block) based on the appearance of the tag that has the 14hp in the black oval. The original engines had this tag but it was centered on the top of the shroud (and yours is slightly off to the right side). Also, the original engines had the other tag with the Model, Spec and Serial number, on the left side of the shroud (as I indicated in an earlier message). If your engine was just replaced with a short block I believe you'd still have the original Model, Spec and Serial number tag on the left side of the shroud. Let us know if you still have a tag on the left side of the shroud, and post a pic as well, but I doubt you do.

Hope this info fills you in a little more about what you have - which is a tractor with an engine 20 years newer than most of the guys with 1450's have. These Kohler K Series engines when NLA from Kohler a long long time ago, so it's nice you got one.

Couple other things I noticed in your pics. Your fiberglass dash seems to be broken away around the area of the hood support (maybe you already noticed that). It's a fairly easy fiberglass repair and you'd want to do this before you do your painting. Also, I didn't see the 2 piece tin (steel) muffler box for your engine. You have the aluminum or white metal "duct" right behind the muffler where it attaches but are missing the 2 muffler box pieces. This "duct" is an expensive part and is often cracked. I'd suggest investigating and adding the "Muffler Crutch" you can get from Kirk Engines, Inc. (which is one of the colorful boxes at the top of this page) and also linked here Kirk Engines, Inc. >> Garden Tractor Performance Parts

If you want more help with details on your tractor I'd suggest posting some additional close up pics of various sections. Also, you should study pics and other details in the FAQ section on here, as well as the Service Manual and Operator Manuals, and also look at pics in the parts diagrams of the CCC web site for replacement parts (all of which are in Forum links). If you have trouble finding just note it in a post and someone will help you out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back