• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1450 resto

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steven - have a look at the Service Manual for your 1450 and in the first section at the bottom of page VI you'll see the following. Also note the Footnote. IH began using the "WP" bolt head on Cub Cadets at the start of production of the wide frame 1x8/9 series. If you look at the Service Manual for the 1x6/7 series (last of the narrow frames) it shows the "IH" marked bolt head. Just another tidbit of info. If you're doing a restoration you gotta have the correct bolts.

1604788619913.png

Scott - I heard from a very reliable source that IH wanted to expand their fastner sales to customers outside IH production so they changed the stamping from IH to WP to avoid any customer issues. They were still made at the same IH plant.

Steve - going to a JD dealer would be sacrilege.
Also, just to help everyone else out here's the page out of the 1x6/7 Service Manual that I mentioned previously, where it shows the "IH" stamped bolt heads. Just goes to show it would be worthwhile for everyone to read the ENTIRE manual for their machines.

1604820135944.png

Last edited:
@hydroharry

That's the story I heard also. An outside company approached IH about buying fasteners. Up to that point, it never occured to IH that they could sell fasteners to other companies. So they changed the stamp, so that other companies wouldn't have IH stamped bolts....

Not to butt in ..you were talking a 149 K321...Just recently purchased on a skid of parts( at auction) a k321.turns over very well ..very good compression...much to my surprise when unloading I found the bottom plate/sump missing....everything else appears to be there and in good shape....was this a splash engine or oil pump and can someone help me find a bottom

Gary, the K321 is a splash type. Keep in mind t hat there were different type blocks for different applications. A photo would help, as would the spec number that should be on the serial number plate.

Kraig,thanks for the reply..two things ..ser. 3250593 spec..60166a.... 99% sure it came out of the 149.... no pics, simply don't know how to send them. Please direct me to an area in this forum that explains details of use...I'm old school and having a challenging time catching up...

I’m confused. Does this story belong here. Or did someone start a conversation on the wrong thread. Hah. I mean it’s all good. Not trying to be rude. Some one just threw me a curve ball. Usually it’s the wine. But i did not have any tonight. But i was just educated on blocks.

Steve, yep, a wee bit of thread overlap, it happens.

Gary, here's what the oil pan should look like. This is one from a K301 but the pan would be the same.

Oil Pan.jpg

Oil Pan2.jpg

There are 2 versions, cast iron and aluminum of which the iron one is the better choice.
Lots of issued with aluminum pans if the bolts come loose to the cradle or frame resulting in stripped threads and/or worn bosses where it contacts the cradle or frame mount.

OK since we are here. I have a Question. On my 1450 Quite line 14 hp K321 how long are the bolts that go up through mount and rubber bushings into my pan?

Back