• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1450 Cub Cadet, Sleeve Hitch, Back Blade Build

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend gave me an Old 100 lbs. Propane Tank. I decided to use it, and build a Back Blade. I used a drill press, stick welder and a 4.5 inch hand grinder to complete this project. I used the Brinly Moldboard Beam, whereby there are some adjustments to the cutting angle. I also had to reinforce the Sleeve Hitch for strength. There are 30°, 45°, 90° Blade angle adjustments on Horizontal and Vertical plains. So far I have done some trial Soil Leveling which has worked well. The last Item I need is a cutting edge. I hope this is the correct location to upload this type of post.

Attachments

• IMG_6843.JPG
    IMG_6843.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_6844.JPG
    IMG_6844.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6840.JPG
    IMG_6840.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6839.JPG
    IMG_6839.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6842 2.JPG
    IMG_6842 2.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 90
I like the curve of the blade, I had a Brinley one time that was almost identical, it flipped over to operate backwards. I miss it, didn't use it all that much but sure liked the way it was made.
Did you use a cutoff wheel to cut the tank up? Maybe fill it with water for the first few cuts?

Now you have me missing that Brinley
I'm going to have to see if the junkyard has any LP tanks.............................like I need any more projects :rolleyes:

Yes, I filled it with water, for the first cut, after it was safe, no need for the water. The tank material is 3/32" thick and heavy. It's amazing what type of cuts can be completed with those 4.5" hand grinders. The first time I used the blade I hit a large rock where I ended up bending the Sleeve Hitch. Which is why I had to reinforce it. Well at least the welds and the blade held up so far so good. The next thing I have to get is a cutting edge for the bottom, even though it's double the cylinder thickness as when they make the tank they double it up and weld it where the ends come together. The blade turns 360° so I can use it in reverse as well. I also added a vertical angles for making trenches as the sleeve hitch does not have that option. Thanks all, for the liking it, I appreciate all comments.

Those 4.5 cutoff wheels are amazing, if one takes it slow and steady, a wheel will last for a good while. I'm building a subframe for a pickup truck dump bed now, I will go through several.

Yes, I filled it with water, for the first cut, after it was safe, no need for the water. The tank material is 3/32" thick and heavy. It's amazing what type of cuts can be completed with those 4.5" hand grinders. The first time I used the blade I hit a large rock where I ended up bending the Sleeve Hitch. Which is why I had to reinforce it. Well at least the welds and the blade held up so far so good. The next thing I have to get is a cutting edge for the bottom, even though it's double the cylinder thickness as when they make the tank they double it up and weld it where the ends come together. The blade turns 360° so I can use it in reverse as well. I also added a vertical angles for making trenches as the sleeve hitch does not have that option. Thanks all, for the liking it, I appreciate all comments.
I'm not sure about your area, but around here in the U.P. of Michigan, every third house has a plow truck. They have really thick cutting edges on them, and when they wear out on the plow, they are is still around 3 1/2 inches tall. I use them for the cutting edge on my grader blade for my loboy, and they are really easy to find, and usually free, or almost free. If you want one that is extreme overkill, check with your county road commission to see if they will let you have one of their used ones.

Latest posts

Back