• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1450 Cub Cadet Help With Surging Engine

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cub Cadet 1450 w/ Kohler Cast Iron Engine K321, was running great. Started it, it didn't sound right, started Surging then stalls out. I had new carburetor (on hand, replaced it, in case the older one was dirty). Unfortunately, it did not improve the operation of the engine. I have on order new Points, Condenser & Plug. I tested, the Coil, it measured 3.7/3.8 on Volt Meter. I am hoping it is not the coil, since it seemed like it was OK.

Is there any other item that I am missing that could cause this? I am thinking it is electrical...

Any Assistance is appreciated.

Sincerely, Bob

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/724615710/privacy

This reads like a fuel delivery problem. Check the spark plug color. If it's whitish instead of tan to gray, then it's running lean. Two carburetors, provided the 2nd one has had attempts at adjusting idle, and the same problem tells me it may be something in the tank or fuel line. You could hook up a temporary alternate fuel source to the carb, and if the problem goes away, then it's a strong indicator of where the problem is.

I think fuel delivery, or governor adjustment. Has there been any recent linkage change? Check that all cables and springs are connected properly. David provided a link to the manual. Governor adjustment is covered there.

I didn't realize there was a video until the above post. Do I have to join to view it? I can see it, but it won't start for me. Kinda like my 782 right now...

I won't be joining if that is needed.

Properly rebuild the original carb.

I removed the gas tank & found that the Gas Tank Shut-off valve, was not working correctly. It didn't turn off the fuel as well as restricting the flow. The tank was pretty dirty inside, I took a shop rag cleaned the inside & removed the valve. There were so many sediments on the filter where only the very top of the screen let fuel flow. I also changed the points & condenser. I think the condenser is original one that came on the tractor because the black paint from the engine & on the clip was never separated and it is very corroded. The Governor needed a tiny adjustment it was a little off not enough to make a big difference but re-set it. I also cleaned the Vacuum Filter which was not restricting air flow, since I was on a roll I kept going.

I have a new fuel valve, filter & grommet on order when they are installed I'll see how it runs. These are all issues that needed to be addressed and I should have done so before, but the tractor was running Good & I'm of the mind set... "If it ain't broke" ....

Again all your replies have helped.

Last edited:
UPDATE: I re-installed the Fuel Tank & Original Walbro (after cleaning), Carburetor. Re-placed Fuel Valve/w filter & Hose, Points, Condenser and Plug. I believe it was a combination of issues, mostly the carburetor needed a good cleaning. The Fuel Tank Shut-off Valve was faulty and filter needed replacing. Perhaps, the Points, Condenser and Plug did not need replacing but it is good to know they are new and all gapped properly.

It's Running fine again.

Last edited:
hoff-finger-guns.jpg

Back