• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1440 plastic hood and sides

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Trammell

Just acquired the 1992 model and the entire plastic hood assembly is badly faded. Anyone know the best way to restore, repaint or refinish these panels. Or I would consider fresh metal replacements. Thoughts?

There are no direct metal replacements..Some guys have used the front clip from an 82 series and bolted it on the frame. The shape of the hood is close to the original Cyclops so that it kinda mates up with the dash. The easiest way to correct your issue is replacement with nice original parts, but they are getting scarce. I'm sure you could wet sand and refinish them in Cub beige if the plastic isn't too deteriorated.

I had a '96 1430 with the plastic hood. It was an outdoor tractor - so was badly faded. I taped off the decals, removed the numbers (peeling/bad)... and watersanded it with 600G (on a DA), then handsanded with 1000G then finished with 1500. This was then buffed with a 9" wool pad and 3M #85 compound. It buffed up to a great gloss... I didn't even use polishing compound.

Mothers mag wheel polish with a damp cloth makes the plastic nice any shiny. Be sure to clean it first.
040.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you all - I was wondering if the plastic was molded with the color in it which would allow for this type of refinishing. I found decals for mine (as my decals are peeling off) so this summer I can easily do that sanding.

Yesterday - ran into another problem. Previous owner told me he had replaced the power take off belt to snowblower. My blower is the old single stage heavy unit. Had 4 inch snow last night - fired tractor up to do driveway and made it about 10 feet and it plugged and started frying belt. My question is -- has anyone replaced this type flower with a 2 stage lighter model and if so what newer one would be a good fit?

Bill

Back