• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1420 info needed

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary noblit

IHCC Supporter
Went to look at 1440,guy misspoke it was a 1420.. I had looked up info on the 40 before I went. Short story is I ended buying the 20 anyway thinking(or not) that they were similar.After looking up specs I'm now aware there is a huge difference.lawn vs garden tractor and about 240 lb of what? That is my question what are the primary mechanical differences..Older experienced gentlemen please reply...While I just set and feel a bit stupid..enthusiam got in the way of reality again...

A Lawn Tractor's primary duty is simply to mower lawn and pull light duty implements (ie: cart). A Garden Tractor not only mows the lawn, but can handle "ground engaging", and higher horse power implements.

Roland, thanks for the reply.According to "tractor data" there is 240 lbs difference between the 20 and the 40.I was wondering what accounts for this..both have 14 hp engines,the 20 has smaller tires so I am "assuming" a big change in the rear end..again thanks..

Gary,

The big difference it the frame and transaxle. The 1440 is a Cub Cadet "Cyclops" Garden Tractor. It is more akin to a 82 Series or like like an 1811 style tractor. It has a full channel frame that extends the entire length of the tractor (much like the frame on a car) and the transaxle, and engine mount "in" the frame. The transaxle is the aluminum version of the IH style transaxle, and capable of running ground engaging attachments. Like a moldboard plow, tiller, disc, cultivator, and a large snow blade or snowthrower/blower

The 1420 is a Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor. It is more a kin to a riding lawn mower from a big box store (or that place outta Chicago that is slowly dying)... it will have a lighter frame that is much lighter steel than the Garden Tractors. The frame reminds me more of a shelf that everything is mounted to. The engine and trans-axle are mounted "on" the frame. The trans-axle is a much lighter duty unit, that can only really handle mowing and something light like a lawn cart, maybe a sweeper or small roller. Nothing ground engaging... they did sell a snow blade and maybe a snow blower.... but this use does shorten the life of the machine.

The 1420 is a lawn mower.... nothing more really. Not saying it's a bad machine, but it is limited in what it can do. But, you don't have to stop at one... keep looking and pick up a garden tractor also. Most of us have more than one tractor. Or some, like myself, I have a new CC ZTR, and several older Cub Cadets. The ZTR does an awesome job cutting the grass, but any other work, one of the tractors comes out. I won't even pull a cart with the ZTR (the hitch hasn't even been installed), I get the tractor out. This time of year, the ZTR is tucked away in the barn and the 1450 is in the garage with blade on it.

Scott,Thank you for the effort, that was the in depth info I was looking for. My point was no swapping of parts to make it a stronger machine..I get it....I already had 3 cubs,122,1320,2206,and now a 1420.Acually I've been looking at a 127&a 128 but he still hasn't got past the goldplating so it's not looking like a deal to be made..Again ,thanks for the effort!! I'm sure to most the questions seemed a bit stupid but you hit dead on.....

Back