• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

12hp narrow frame variations.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cub1961

did IH have a 12hp in the 122’s (or other) that had the short dipstick beside the points cover? i know the 14’s did and some guys swapped the flywheel and cowling to make them fit in a narrow frame without cutting the frame. if it was a swap then it could have the 12hp tag on it i presume.

Is it black? Later K301's had the dipstick on the points side, the tag will be under the gs tank bracket.

DSC02133.JPG
DSC02132.JPG

thanks. ya it’s black. do you know if that could have come on the 122’s?

There might be a little misunderstanding. The black engine would likely be a replacement engine. Original engines were painted yellow and an original 122 engine would have the long dipstick, not the short one on the side.

Mine has the tube!
I would guess the 122 models with the side dipstick were made in 1967. This is when they transitioned to the next series (72,104,105,124,125).
Upon further examination, maybe not! Mine was made in March of 67". Maybe it was the other way around.
Maybe some of you can check your serial # and see when yours was made.

DSCF4163.JPG

I have an “A” serial number 301 on my 122. That is a 1965 engine. I have a “C” serial number in engine out of a 122 which is a 1967 engine. I have an “E” serial number engine out of a 125 which is a 1969 engine. All have the long tube in the top. Check the engine serial numbers. On course covers can be changed. We may never know for sure.

i’m supposed to check the 122 that has motor on sunday. like friggen christmas. i hope my brother is going to want this one. i’ve brought home 5 in the past few months and am about getting ready to use them as end tables or something

went and checked out the 122 tonight. it is pretty nice and looks original-ish with some obvious touchup and a non factory seat. its made in 67 and has the C serial 301 so it is most likely original. its not black like i thought, its yellow. non-original headlights and the rear fenders are original but have been extended to cover the whole tire. not a bad job actually and looks pretty good. pops a little when running the throttle up and down so probably needs some carb adjustment or something. no smoke and no leaks from what i can see. good deck and mule drive but needs the bracket to connect to the linkage. good rear tires and fronts are shot. clutch and tranny all seem tight. i am going to talk to my brother about it and hope he wants it because i am running out of shop space. but it will come home with one of us.

Back