• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

129 wiring ?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Achenbach

On the 129 while mowing, came to a dead stop. No crank no start. After getting it back to the garage, (never realized how heavy this is) noticed one of the wires from the hr meter was just hanging. Appeared to possibly come out of a crimped quick connect but truly no luck identifying the original location. The other wire to the hr meter went to the coil. After removing the lead to the coil, crank and start with no issue.

Since the hr meter appears to be an add on (see photos) and it would be good to reconnect it again and as the wiring appears to complete some circuit allowing the engine to crank/start, what are your thoughts on the wiring to the hr meter? To the key ign switch? Some other safety switch ? Any direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 9F01655C-FB4A-41C0-BF8E-834A57F05D5F.jpeg
    9F01655C-FB4A-41C0-BF8E-834A57F05D5F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 2C533504-6544-4CC9-AC99-781333F71CC4.jpeg
    2C533504-6544-4CC9-AC99-781333F71CC4.jpeg
    945.2 KB · Views: 0
  • E60B186F-84F2-4281-B2B8-C40C1D456DD1.png
    E60B186F-84F2-4281-B2B8-C40C1D456DD1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
That looks like a newer unit and I think 1 side goes to switched battery power ( on/off) and the other side goes to ground.
From memory - my 169 had the ignition circuit ( coil feed ) passing through the meter. So in effect it's the same thing as above, switched battery power through the meter, through the coil, through the points = ground. But if the meter fails there is the potential for it to be open and not complete the circuit and stop the ignition side.. add a couple jumper wires and connect it to the battery, see if it works. There's only a very short voltage draw as it charges a capacitor then runs on that briefly, then recharges the capacitor and rinse and repeat.. I'd leave it out of the ignition circuit in case it did fail. Find a switched power wire like the headlight feed (marked load at regulator) and connect it there, if it does fail it won't stop the engine. fwiw, my point oh 2..

It would have made more sense to have the hourmeter in parallel with the coil, off of the ignition terminal, instead of in series so that failure of the hourmeter does not cause it to not run.

Without knowing how the one added to yours was wired, it is hard to suggest how to fix it other than to put it the way it should have been.

The Hour Meter would normally be wired with one lead to ground, and the other lead to the "I" terminal of the Ignition Switch. Power does NOT pass through it.

Latest posts

Back