• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

129 fuel / filter / carb float

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Achenbach

So on the 129 weekly mower, after 30 mins is so it died. Sounds like it’s fuel starved. Previously installed an inline filter as well as replaced the tank valve/filter. This time took off the carb bowl thinking the float may have stuck. Cleaned the float and needle with carb cleaner but thought there was supposed to be some sort of spring or spring like attachment that held the float to the needle to pull it down as the float recedes as the bowl empties. I’m not seeing any on parts lookup diagrams but thinking there was one in place. Thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 21647C83-C8F7-49D9-9FCD-BA76388C77D3.jpeg
    21647C83-C8F7-49D9-9FCD-BA76388C77D3.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 5C765583-E9B3-4BAB-869B-0F7DB7BB0B24.jpeg
    5C765583-E9B3-4BAB-869B-0F7DB7BB0B24.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 136
If it ran for 30 mins. I would "guess" a half plugged line or tank cap vent hole plugged creating a vacuum...carb bowl full won't run any where near that long...if it was ok before you changed those items that's where you should be looking....you may have dislodged some crud....

Thanks. To add/clarify just a bit, it did run as normal but after the initial stall, it would only run for a minute or 2 which is why I was thinking the float/ needle. You raise a very good point though as I did blow air backwards thru the tank and fuel did seem to flow a bit more freely after that.

Gravity and magic hold the world together.

...add another item for me to check on my project 782. Thanks you guys for pointing out yet another possible source of my problems. Such a wealth of info here!

Last edited:
Thanks. Yep, that in line filter in the photo was from the local Yamaha dealer for an old 1980 motorcycle. Had an extra so figured why not but as you suggested, it’s not correct and may be from a partially vaccuum actuated system. Would you recommend then just removing the filter entirely and reverting to a straight feed from the tank relying on the in tank screen ( original design ?) or replacing the filter with another type that maybe more gravity feed friendly?

Thanks. Yep, that in line filter in the photo was from the local Yamaha dealer for an old 1980 motorcycle. Had an extra so figured why not but as you suggested, it’s not correct and may be from a partially vaccuum actuated system. Would you recommend then just removing the filter entirely and reverting to a straight feed from the tank relying on the in tank screen ( original design ?) or replacing the filter with another type that maybe more gravity feed friendly?
I would suggest to bypass you new filter and see if your issue goes away, if not, then put that filter back. I am a bit suspicious of that hard 'stone' filter. I bet it is more restricting then the much larger, more surface are, ones. Like Fram G12

Yes, my money is on the in-line filter being the problem. As stated, that one is for an engine with a fuel pump. Had one like that on a four wheeler once. You could look at it, and it would stop up!

Back