• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1282 engine problems

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so I drained the duel from the carb and then it started right up. It seems to be getting to much fuel. What do I check next? Also thanks for pushing me to check and not assume. I always assume the worst. The engine seems fine.

You probably just need to get the carburetor cleaned . Usually it needs new gaskets when you take the bowl off. There are threads here on how clean and check the carb.

Unfortunately there isn’t a file shut off. I need to add one. I pulled the bowl for the carb all the way off. And the was some sediment in the bottom. Looks like I need a fuel filter as well. Is it possible the sediment held the float from closing?

There is likely a speck of dirt under the needle . Check for leaks after you reassemble the carburetor . No need to risk a fire

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE: Check the oil level. If it is very high, or smells like gasoline... STOP!
You may have a stuck or sunken float in the carb, that is allowing fuel to flow freely into the crankcase.
This will create all kinds of problems.
CHECK and REPORT

What Ray is saying is so correct!! If you have gas in your oil it's very dangerous...You said fuel was coming out of plug hole that's a sign that there is so much gas it's by passing piston.If it was flooding of course that will kill the engine.Check oil level if it is high drain it now.If you can't tell drain it anyway or ruin your engine.How did you check plug for spark??Maybe it is just a fuel issue but 1 step at a time...

Yes The current fuel problem is hard on the oil . Now from the parts list I can't tell if this tractor uses a fuel pump. The pictures in said list make it look like a gravity system. It has been mentioned on other posts that the fuel will run out the air filter also .

I think there was just somthing blocking the needle. There was a lot of fuel coming out of the spare plug hole when I checked it. I will drain the oil next weekend and add a fuel filter. Can you think of anything else?

It was running great then you went and tilled a nice field so most likely that was all that happened. It is holding fuel now right ?

Please note that it is a gravity fed fuel system. The glass sediment bowl is sort of the fuel filter, it's all that it would have had originally. If you do add in a fuel filter be sure to get one that is designed for a gravity fuel system. There is not enough pressure in the fuel system to flow the gas through a filter designed for a system with a fuel pump.

It does appear to be a gravity tank so while you're at it put a shut off valve in the line
I enjoyed reading post by post of you guys walking Todd though this. Very commendable. I'm learning things myself !
Thanks for the comment...Everyday I read the posts of others because I'm taking and giving.There's some amazing knowledge available here, many years worth!! Sharing what little I have makes it good for me...

The shut off should also have a screen on as it looks as it is a plastic tank. Funny the parts list shows a fuel pump gasket and then says that the cover plate is not used.

Please note that it is a gravity fed fuel system. The glass sediment bowl is sort of the fuel filter, it's all that it would have had originally. If you do add in a fuel filter be sure to get one that is designed for a gravity fuel system. There is not enough pressure in the fuel system to flow the gas through a filter designed for a system with a fuel pump.
I think this one has a fuel pump it does not have the glass bowl I will take a picture later and post it.

Back