• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1282 engine problems

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddL

Is there anyone in north East Indiana that is good at rebuilding kohler 12 hp k301 engines? I was tilling a food plot today and everything was running great. I decided to make one more pass and then call it a day. On my last pass a puff of smoke came out of the muffler and the engine died. Any suggestions? Thx

Attachments

• 89FAAF59-AA2F-4C4C-A13D-3D86710FF89E.jpeg
    89FAAF59-AA2F-4C4C-A13D-3D86710FF89E.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 147
Is there anyone in north East Indiana that is good at rebuilding kohler 12 hp k301 engines? I was tilling a food plot today and everything was running great. I decided to make one more pass and then call it a day. On my last pass a puff of smoke came out of the muffler and the engine died. Any suggestions? Thx
Two thoughts,does it still turn over? Does it have compression? If it's yes,the rest is basics.If it's a no,it's kinda' serious....

It still turns over, but when turning over it sounds different the normal. I don’t have a compression checker. Based off the ot puff of smoke and the different sound when turning over I think it is the engine. It always fired right up before. How hard is it to rebuild? Thx

I definitely don’t want to scrap it. It has the tiller mower deck and snow plow with chains. I used it to plow snow all winter and ran great last summer

I have a neighbor who called me at work. His backhoe starter goes clunk , wanted me to tell if it broke a rod , timing chain or crank. The clues are everything

It still turns over, but when turning over it sounds different the normal. I don’t have a compression checker. Based off the ot puff of smoke and the different sound when turning over I think it is the engine. It always fired right up before. How hard is it to rebuild? Thx
Todd, simple test..pull plug,hold rounded end of screwdriver handle on plug hole,turn over ,you should hear a whoosh on each compression stroke.If you hear it then the piston is going up and down and the valves are working.If you don't ,again it's serious.The puff was probably unburned fuel because it quit firing...you have to analyze 1 step at a time

I have a neighbor who called me at work. His backhoe starter goes clunk , wanted me to tell if it broke a rod , timing chain or crank. The clues are everything

I am guessing I over heated the engine. I was working it pretty hard, but tilling the same food plot that it tulles last year so I thought I was ok. I am guessing the engine is shot because it dies while I was using it.

I am guessing I over heated the engine. I was working it pretty hard, but tilling the same food plot that it tulles last year so I thought I was ok. I am guessing the engine is shot because it dies while I was using it.
Todd, they're air cooled engines they have been doing it for yrs...Your "guessing " leads me to believe you're not very experienced with engines so don't start removing parts to "look" at what might be wrong.I'm gone for the day to work on a JD but someone will help you.You have to do the analysis with good guidance .....I'm just guessing but probably your points fried ...but guessing only...

then the ignition test . take the cover off the points and look to see if they move and have a small spark when they open. It is hard to describe how I check the coil and points

Back