• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

128 problems

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgregg

displayname
David A. Gregg
my 128 worker developed a nasty problem this morning. Was about 2 hours into rolling my yard when I accidently killed it on a hill. Coasted backwards to the drive and noticed that the engine was still cranking over, turned key off and it continued. Turned key back on and to start position and it started, drove it over to the barn and shut key off but starter kept turning engine over. Pulled battery cable to stop it.
Any clues on where to start?

Well I started my problem search by downloading one of Rolland's fancy wiring diagrams. Thanks Rolland.
Started out by removing the plug on the ignition switch, no change. So I next removed one set of cables from the solenoid and checked continuity, no continuity so I know it's not stuck. hooked cable back up and it started to crank and ign switch still unpluged, smacked the VR with a screwdriver handle and it quit. Found problem.
Went to start it then, no start, no spark.
When I drove it back to the barn this morning after the first incident I noticed the amp meter was way over to the right, more than I ever saw it. When I got to the barn the engine died on its own but kept on cranking over.
I then checked points, filed and checked gap, still no spark. checked voltage all ok. So I swapped out the coil with one from another tractor. Took care of the problem. That time of overcharge must have killed the coil.
Now to go and rob the VR from another one.

Sounds like you found it. Sorry to hear the VR gave out on you. Can't hurt to pop the cover off, there's only four screws holding it on, and have a look inside. It's not too complex. There's a relay (labelled "cutout relay" in the drawing below) in the VR that stuck shut, it's basically wired in parallel with the starter switch which is why it was cranking the engine over when it stuck shut. It's possible that it could be repaired depending on why it stuck shut.

IH_Electrical_057a.jpg

Thanks guys for the replys.
I plan checking it out when I get it off. They couldn't have made it more inaccesable. Wedged between the frame and fender beside the battery. The bottom bolts apears to be a treat to get out.

Back