• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

127 snow thrower servicing

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cubstudent

Hi all. Looking for info on servicing the PTO driven snow thrower gear box. What's the general service for replacing the lube and what spec lube is required. I started thinking has anyone ever installed a jerk fitting on the top of the cast case and used that to top off grease while greasing the rest of the driveshaft u joints and slip joint? I haven't taken the cover off yet to see what lube type it has,thought I'd get some ideas from you guys who have been around them alot longer than I have. Thanks for any insight.

Hi all. Looking for info on servicing the PTO driven snow thrower gear box. What's the general service for replacing the lube and what spec lube is required. I started thinking has anyone ever installed a jerk fitting on the top of the cast case and used that to top off grease while greasing the rest of the driveshaft u joints and slip joint? I haven't taken the cover off yet to see what lube type it has,thought I'd get some ideas from you guys who have been around them alot longer than I have. Thanks for any insight.
I always clean them out good, and replace the grease with a 80/20 combination of grease and 90 wt. That helps keep the gears covered, and doesn't sling the grease to the outside of the box to stick and stay there.

Thanks for the tip. Sounds good to me. Do you do this with it on its side? as I'm thinking it will run out ,unless your quick. I might get it out on the bench and fill it then, how full would be my next question. Thanks

Thanks for the tip. Sounds good to me. Do you do this with it on its side? as I'm thinking it will run out ,unless your quick. I might get it out on the bench and fill it then, how full would be my next question. Thanks
The 80/20 blend isn't so thin that it runs out - it's just thin enough to keep the gears covered. And the box doesn't need to be packed full to the top. Pre-mix the grease and gear oil, and you'll see how full you can get the box without it spilling out.

3/4 full is fine.
Thanks so much for providing clarity and I look forward to getting that done. Sent you a pic of my 127 , prior owner had painted it IH color scheme,so I continued for now,plan on redoing with original colors someday . Thanks again for your help

Attachments

• IMG_20200402_151235990.jpg
    IMG_20200402_151235990.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 162
Thanks so much Glippert and Digger for both your help. Was able to get that lube just right. Looked inside and cleaned it out and didn't see any issues. I'm ready ,next it to get my deck gone thru and hooked up for the summer cut.

Back