• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

127 just won't start

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwillsey

displayname
C Willsey
Hi Guys, I'm new to this forum and basically joined because I am having trouble with my 127 Hydrostatic and need some help. Please
happy.gif

I've been into IHs for quite a while and have several Scout 80s and 800s so a Cub Cadet seemed to make sense.

I bought the 127 about 10 years ago from a local dealer with the idea that it would be a good tractor to push and pull dead vehicles around with since it had the hydrostatic drive. At least that is what the guy said.

It's not perfect but it's pretty complete and clean. It's a nice little tractor. I did use it to cut some grass a few times but it has always been too temperamental to get started to make it very useful to actually get any real work done so I never made the push guard or even tried to pull a vehicle with it. It was always less work to get something else to do the job than try and start it.

I'm getting ready to move my shop AGAIN and will once again need something to push and pull non running vehicles inside a building for loading.

Before I bought something else I thought I would give the little guy one last try to see if it can be reliable enough to get more use out of than decoration.

When we were dealing with the tractor right after I bought it, it seems we replaces a bunch of stuff to try and get it to run and the guy at the dealer said it always worked for him but it almost never worked for me. I went through several batteries until I just gave up and parked it. I am used to getting hard to start older vehicles started but I either lack the gene for CubCadets or there is still something amiss.

I am also toying with the idea of making it a "race tractor" but I'm not sure if this is a good platform for that kind of project. Opinions?

Since it has been a while since we did the work I can't remember all that was done. Seems like all new ignition parts and perhaps a new carburetor and maybe a new head gasket if not a head. I thought we covered all bases but it has just never started right. Are they all this difficult? Any ideas off the cuff with so little to go on?

Thanks, Chris

Welcome to the forum! Your 127 is a Garden Tractor and NOT a lawn tractor, so post this in the main forum where someone will see it.

Chris W- welcome! that old ih cub cadet is a well made machine. with that being said, everything is fixable. nothing would be too over-complicated, the folks here are EXPERTS!!! i'am just the student. sounds like the tractor needs some t.l.c to start with. do you have a Blue Ribbon Service Manual for it yet? any ways, i'am sure some one will come along and reply.you'll see...that cubbie will grow on ya!i dont know if a cubbie would make a racer or not. i do know that they are the best pullers,though. i think if you want a racer you should get a stamped out craftsman or one of those plastic/tin tractors. [not being funny] Welcome again Chris!

Chris: Welcome!
groupwave.gif

Matt and John both gave you good advice. I'll add that the grounding system on these old machines tends to deterioate, so start by cleaning the ground connections. Fresh gas is important. Are you sure you're getting gas through the carb? Good battery?
Post again in the main forum (top of the list on TOPICS page) and you'll either have a running 127 soon or someone near Shawnee Mission, KS will!
coffee.gif
old.gif

Last time I had problems with my dad's 127 hydro starting the points had deteriorated and the generator was shot...somehow the polarity of the generator was reversed and burned it up. I would go with the first easy check and start with the points near the dipstick.

If you are looking for a Cub to do pulling, a gear drive Cub is the hot ticket. Of the older IH Cubs, look for one with the model # being even, i.e. 102, 124,128, etc. The hydrostatic drives are great for controlling your speed, but tend to eat a fair amount of the engine power that needs to be put to the ground when you're pulling. I'm not to familiar with the racing scene, but I figure the same principles apply, a gear drive would be your best choice.

As far as your predicament with the 127, the best advice I can give is to make sure it is getting fuel, spark and compression at the proper time and amount. If it ain't crankin' fix that first, then see if you're getting spark. The easiest thing to do next is to check to see if the engine is getting fuel. Take a can of WD-40, starting fluid, or carburetor cleaner and shoot some down the carb's throat while cranking. If she lights off temporarily, then the problem is with the carb. One problem I've run into repeatedly while resurrecting old power equipment that's been setting a long time is rust/varnish from the gas tank working it's way into the carburetor. I have a rototiller which has seen very little use but is over 30 years old which I've had the carburetor apart 3 times already, and I'm about to pull it off a 4th time. I've repeatedly attempted to clean the gas tank by throwing in a bunch of nuts and bolts into it, along with some lacquer thinner and shaking it up, then letting it soak overnight then shaking some more.

I recently purchased a 382 Hydro. The wiring harness is in bad shape, would anyone have a wiring diagram or know where I could find a wiring harness? This has a safety switch on the seat and reverse position on drive lever. I checked with Cub dealer and the harness is no longer available. Mod#134383399 , Ser#0350037U079383. Any help would appreciated.

Ron Ware

Ron W., I pulled down the owners manual from MTD site. No wire diagram in it. Maybe e-mail 'CC Specialties' or 'Cadet Collector supply room' and see if they can help with harness.

Allen, Thanks, I got in touch with cc collectors and Myron sent a diagram.

Ron

Back