• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

125 PTO always engaged

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WisCubs

Hello -
I have a good running Cub Cadet 125 that I use for some rough mowing. I think something fell out of the front PTO. The clutch will not disengage. That is, when I pull the PTO lever back to the off position, my mower keeps running (with full power, the clutch is not slipping).

I've attached a couple of images. Can someone tell me what's missing, what part is needed, and if it's a simple fix?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4787.JPG
    IMG_4787.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_4786.JPG
    IMG_4786.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_4785.JPG
    IMG_4785.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 235
Hello -
I have a good running Cub Cadet 125 that I use for some rough mowing. I think something fell out of the front PTO. The clutch will not disengage. That is, when I pull the PTO lever back to the off position, my mower keeps running (with full power, the clutch is not slipping).

I've attached a couple of images. Can someone tell me what's missing, what part is needed, and if it's a simple fix?
Thanks!
Your missing the engaging button. You also need to readjust your PTO, it's way off.
1575144411590.png

Hello -

Thanks!
To readjust your PTO. Cub Cadet FAQ

And, it appears that you will likely need to replace the center button on the PTO as it’s worn to a point so a new engaging button won’t last long.

Thanks for the responses. Curious about the clutch adjustment ... what do you see in the picture that says it needs adjustment?

Hello -

Thanks!
looks like u need to take off the clutch replace the center steel button that holds the 3 fingers centered on the clutch that the oem fiber button rode on Yours is worn thin to a point in the center supposed to be smooth have a radius As of now u are grinding metal to metal because the fiber button on the arm is gone worn out BTW the bronze aftermarket button is best it wears better its easier to install lasts longer than the oem fiber button did Sorry, to say but its not a easy fix

Thanks for the responses. Curious about the clutch adjustment ... what do you see in the picture that says it needs adjustment?

If it doesn't need adjusted now ,it will after you replace the center steel button that holds the fingers ! If you don't replace that one also it's pretty much a waste of time and effort as it will only last a short time till your back where you started or the release arm comes in against the fingers and ruins them too !

As I mentioned in a post a few days ago and Robert mentioned above the center button on your PTO is worn to a point. It should look like this:

clutchbuttonlarge.jpg

Note the point on yours, that is worn out, the hole in the engaging lever has worn it this way afte the fiber button wore out:

PTO BUTTON_01.jpg

Also as Charlie mentioned above yours is missing the fiber button aka engaging button. It goes where the hole is in the engaging lever. Also as noted in posts above brass versions are also available.

PTO BUTTON_02.jpg

Here's what it would look like with the threaded brass version.

PTO_BRASS BUTTON.jpg

it be best while u have the clutch removed and apart to rebuild it and replace the 3 fingers/levers and the center button Sometime the fingers do wear where they are engaged in the center button u can get all these parts new on ebay Not all the bronze buttons are the threaded type some are the pressed in type like the fiber oem ones were Either bronze button will work The fiber buttons have to be pressed in squarely or the center pin will break being the fiber material is brittle and don't last as long as the bronze buttons do

HMmmm.. my 73 ran the original "fiber button" for nearly 20 years.. I replaced it just because, the "fiber button" in it now was installed in 1988... it still shows no sign of wear or damage.. maybe in 2088 it'll need replacement? LOL..

With a little care and observation, making sure the button alignment is good and you to can maintain your pto button once a century... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back