• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

125 go fast lever issue

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Black

i picked up a 125 yesturday... the go fast lever is stuck.. from what iam thinking i dont think its rust..but who knows.. without ripping it apart as ive never worked on a 125 go fast lever or any other 12x line
brake moves up and down and does work.. the u shaped metal thingy on the shaft for the go fast lever moves up and down with the peddle..

the lever just is soild p oil few dead blows its soild..
hints tips tricks.. ???

my bad on the title error Lever not level lol ..

Well Ken - if it's not the brakes then I think any guesses are really just shooting in the dark. I don't think I've ever heard of a hydro control lever (go fast lever) being stuck unless it was due to the brakes being locked. I'd suggest starting with some pics of the main lever shaft and as much of the linkage connected to it as you can.
:worthless:

I would suggest you look at ALL the linkage joints from the Hydro Control Lever all the way back to Cam Plate on the Hydro Unit. Clean and lubricate any joint that doesn't move freely.

Here is what you are looking at.
An overly complicated POS mechanism.
If this rig has spent most of it's recent past out in the elements.....
Well, all bets are off.
The linkage at the (lower left hand corner) of the transmission is pretty well protected by the tunnel
'whereas this area is more exposed to the rain and elements.
I'd bet your "stuck" issue is in this area

125 hydro linkage.png

I fixed the title for you.

If you disconnect the linkage at item #12 that should isolate the control lever assembly from the hydro and help narrow down where it's stuck.

125 Hydro Control_01a.jpg
125 Hydro Control_01b.jpg

72, 1x4, 1x5_120a.jpg

I see David posted while I was typing and searching out images to post.

Well, when I first brought home my 107 I had the same problem. Being that the transmission wasn't even attached to the tractor, it was clearly obvious that the issue lied in the friction adjustment unit. Lotsa penetrating oil and some careful pressure applied to the shaft and I got it to rotate. Was still rather tight until I just recently pulled out the whole assembly and loosened the adjustment nut (holy cow was that thing rusty!).

So that's my guess, it may really help to free everything if you can get the adjustment nut loose, I don't know how accessible it is on a 125, but I had to pull the whole dash tower off my 107 before I could get to it.

The 1x7 has a much simpler setup than the 1x5 has. Spraying the hydro control rod, part #19 in the drawing above, with a liberal amount of penetrating oil, like PB Blaster, Kroil, Liquid Wrench or your favorite penetrating oil and a little bit of time will likely loosen it up.

EDIT: Spray here:

72, 1x4, 1x5_120a.jpg

Finally found the photo I was searching for. Here's what the control lever stuff actually looks like on a 125.

125 Hydro Control.jpg

Whoa is me. I had sorta forgotten the older units had the complicated lever assemblies.

Now what you don't see in that photo is that the steering column covers up that whole mechanism and makes it really hard to adjust the friction!!!

Not to mention the battery box...

Kraig, 100% correct, but come to think of it, I think the battery box is somewhat molested on my parts 105... it's not really in the way like it should be!

I tried to find an image of just how cluttered it is under the tower of my 107, being steering column, wiring harness, key switch, solenoid, and ammeter, all behind that battery box. However, of course I've got the 30 year old rubber piece that came with the tractor behind the battery hiding it all, for a nice clean look :errrr:
IMG_20201105_205906.jpg
IMG_20201105_205558.jpg

The 1x7 has a much simpler setup than the 1x5 has.

Now Kraig - I'm not sure I agree with your statement above. Did you really mean to say the 1x9 (late production) has a much simpler setup than the 1x5 has???
I really don't know what IH was doing or thinking. Talk about being over-engineered. I don't know if IH had firing squads, but the engineer that designed the 1x5 version (I think it was basically the same as the 1x3) probably also did the 1x7, and then had a rookie design the early 1x9. They should have all been shot at dawn. The final 1x9 version is so basic and simple and pretty much bullet proof.

Hydro, the 1x5 was basically the same as the 123 except for the hand lever itself. The 1x7 simplified it, the 1x9 simplified it further. The main complexity to the 1x5 (and 123) is the brake pedal return to neutral setup.

1x7:

1x7.JPG

1x9:

1x9.JPG

thank you KMC for fixing title. my brain and fingers mess up lol

WOW all the info.... awsome stuff for sure let me take it all in lol

KMC.. yep i think i put half of can of pb oil in that spot and lower.. used the lil red tube to get in there better...

as it was said by a few.. its sooo buried hard to get to .. might try and break the spot welds as i go . on the bat box and such to get in there if it doesnt free up today after soaking in pb oil over nite..

harry .... yeah go fastttttttterrrrrrrr moreeee powerrrr grunt grunt tooltimeeeeeeee... lol sorry came to mind as last man standing is no longer. lil sad for that lol ... this was there last show filmed ..
the brakes work.. they engage and disengage. not the normal brakes on axles. there is one disc in the tunnel somewhere..
with what KMC posted must be that outter tube the shaft itself slides in... like a threaded sleve of some sorts. tractor isnt all that rusty.

ill post what i find later tonite as waiting for it to warm up a lil.. thats not for another hour or so .. come on summerrrrr lol .. daddy gotta mow some lawnsssssssssss. hahhaha

to all posters tho.. awsome info ty very much ..

Here's the view of the 125 hydro controls with the battery removed:

125 Hydro_01l.jpg

Back