• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

123 Hydro problems

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Sokoly

123 suddenly does not want to go forward or reverse. Put new chains on and moved it forward and back, hour later nothing.
Linkage appears to be working. Don't hear the Hydro whine. Engine is turning the shaft. I've got it open. Drained 40 year old hydro oil out and filter looks original. I've heard everything from roll pins to stuck relief valves.

Easier to look through the back and see if the rear of the input shaft is turning.
If it is not, then you have a driveshaft coupling/spirol pin issue

The Top gear in the 1st pic moves when I roll the tractor back and forth. There was not a lot of Hytran and its most likely 40 plus years old, I am told by my brother that is about when he and my late father changed it. The filter looks to be original also. Hopefully these pics help. Can I start the tractor and run it without Hytran in the transmission briefly? I do not hear the hydro whine as it usually did before I emptied the hytran.

20220122_162244.jpg
20220122_212849.jpg
20220122_213728.jpg
20220121_201055.jpg

Ok, looks like I will order some Hy-Tran and a filter and rear gasket, before moving on. How do I get to the relief valves, do I have to split the rear from front?

Yes you do. One valve looks like is stuck down or is that the camera angle?

reach in and clean the tops of the valves..... then use needle nose vise grips see if enough to grab top move back n forth as you lift up... spray with p oil.. might be able to get it to pop up ..

or

cut a hole the tunnel cover. no big deal if you do

Instead of cutting a hole in the tunnel cover, remove the six bolts attaching the rear, disconnect the linkage, and slide the whole transaxle out. Literally faster than cutting a hole...

Little maintenance in decades means the driveshaft probably needs some attention, too. Might as well get it all over with now and only take it apart once.

Sounds good. I do have the Blue ribbon service manual, it shows how to detach the rear. Looks like its time to get some Hy-Tran and a filter and gasket in the meantime.

Looks like you are in need of a new spirol pin!
I'd be for inspecting the complete drive train including the rear couplers and rag joint.
By bet is you will find issues there as well.

hard to see... both sides?

u still have pin down on the by pass valve.
so u have more then the drive pin issues..

if you dont want to take the motor and move it forward... BLOCK up the shaft..2by4 across frame and build up to shaft. dont smack it with out doing that... that pully is very easy to blow apart........ it wont take beatings like that.

Back