• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1220 no start

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbynum

displayname
Rufus Bynum
I have a Cub 1220 12hp briggs ran great but won't start now. Starter solenoid just clicks. Got a new one on line but it does the same thing. Need to get this Cub repaired as it is a bagger and helps me greatly with fall clean up. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1. does the engine turn by hand? if not maybe the carb float got stuck and filled the cylinder with gas - or an engine failure.
2. will it turn over on a jump start? maybe bad battery
3. are all the battery connections tight?
4. are the ground straps all in good shape and tight - at the engine and at the battery negative

As sndncash mentioned... Could be hydro-lock. Pull the plug and see if it cranks.
Check voltage on battery as it sits AND while you attempt to crank. See if voltage drops way down. Voltage drop would indicate a tired battery or the starter is trying but engine is frozen.

I repair riders...Gravity fed carbs often leak slowly and fill up the cylinder.Liquid can't be compressed.Pull plug and see if it will turn over by hand. If you can't from top a 5/8 will usually get it from pulley side.If there is liquid(gas) in the cyl some should come out.Do not use starter unless you tape end of plug wire,one ground spark and you could have a serious fire issue. I see this quite often on older machines.The needle valve doesn't seat perfect anymore. All gravity fed should have a shutoff valve,most don't. I know of at least one garage lost from this issue...

Starter drive was locked up in flywheel. I removed starter and found it was bad. Found a local rebuilder that had one in stock. All set!
Thanks for the suggestions. This is why this is a great forum!

Back