• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

122 Cub Cadet Creeper or Transmission Damage?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcalkins

displayname
Peter Calkins
Hello,
Hoping for some advice on my problem. I posted about a year ago that my cub stopped moving while snow blowing. limped back into garage but acted like something in driveline broken. by feathering clutch i got it back to garage. Replaced the clutch thinking it was that but problem not fixed. Left it sit awhile and getting back to the repair now. The driveshaft pins are good up to creeper gear. When I turn driveshaft manually, i can see creeper shaft where it enters housing turn but rear wheels do not turn. I tried this with creeper in low and high and transmission in 1st and 3rd and rear wheels don't move. Thinking maybe something is broke inside the creeper or transmission.

Any thoughts on how to determine what is wrong and how involved it might be to fix will be much appreciated....

Well, I'd say start by removing the driveshaft and verify each pin connection. They have been known to break and still intermittently move the tractor! If the pins are all good ( and I mean set the shaft in a vice and forcibly try to turn the coupler) then the next step would be to open the creeper and see if there's damage there... if not, then the transaxle would be next.

My guess would be a broken roll pin and it appears to be fine. HTH

I agree with Mike - if the driveshaft pins and clutch are verified good then there is a roll pin inside the creeper gear, that may have sheared. I doubt the creeper is damaged. if it was locked up then I would suspect that the transaxle or the creeper had failed. I would jack up the rear end, start it up and put it in first gear - if the rear wheels spin, then I would highly suspect a roll pin failed. basically you are removing the resistance to roll so the sheared pin should have enough friction to make the wheels spin

Thanks guys! rear wheels do spin when weight is off them. I verified driveshaft pins are good so I believe it is a pin in the creeper. I have not worked on one before but it looks like the transaxle/creeper need to be removed from frame and creeper opened up. I think I can get that far but how is the creeper opened and worked on? will I need any special tools? I am thinking this may be more than I can tackle but snow is coming......

there is not much to the creeper gear - a few planetary gears and a ring gear to drive it slow. or slide the shaft the other way and is bypasses the internal gears. I was able to rebuild mine (seals and bearings charlie has all those parts) by removing the drive shaft, tunnel cover, and the bodywork. I really did not want to split my tractor because I would have to remove the FEL. Since its off I would replace the seals and bearing gasket and o-rings. you dont want to do it twice.

I had the pin in the shift yoke come out on mine once. Creeper was between gears and tractor wouldn't move. Also happened while plowing snow. Lucky I was close to the garage and could push it back in to work on.

Finally found out what the problem is. The coupler where driveshaft connects to creeper has the front pin broken. I split the tractor and got the pin pieces out of the coupler. Removed the driveshaft and discovered the hole in the driveshaft is elongated much larger than pin size. Need some more advice for a fix please.

Replace the drive shaft
Not that expensive and chances are the front is worn as well.
You are lucky it was not the input shaft on the creeper itself.
Better check for slop in that one as well while you are at it

I will replace the drive shaft as suggested. I found the rear pin on the coupler was broken too. The pin did not want to come out but when it did it was in pieces. The holes in the coupler and creeper shaft look ok.

will let you know how it goes. thanks for the help!

I was thinking about you this morning and wanted to try and encourage you to replace all the pins. If one has broken, the others aren't far behind! But it seems like you're on your way any how! :cool:

Back