• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

106 lift arm bent?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwstevens

displayname
Brian W. Stevens
This is an easy question. I took a picture of the underside of the tractor showing arms not touching the frame together in the highest setting. I can cut it apart to fix it if they are supposed to be the same height .

The photo didn't load . Here it is the left one is an 1 1/4" low
20210325_182242.jpg

They should be nearly parallel. There's an area on the rockshaft that wears from the mower deck subframe. Most likely the rockshaft has weakened in that area and twisted. Here's some photos of one of my parts tractors. In one of the photos I circled the area where the wear occurs. This particular Cub Cadet is a 124 chassis and doesn't have much wear. I have a 125 that has had a bunch of use for mowing and the rockshaft is worn nearly half way through.

Lift_01.jpg

Lift_02.jpg

Best to be very careful how you try to repair your rockshaft. Some parts for that style have NEVER been available, you have to make them yourself, other parts don't disassemble well, and luckily the parts that take special equipment to make Charlie has found sources for. I've rebuilt the rockshaft on my 72 a couple times, did my 129 once when I could still get IH parts for it. I've never rebuilt my 982 because, It doesn't have some of those parts. And the 70 must have been O-K because I don't remember doing anything to it when I refurbished it 10 yrs ago. The wide frames like my 129 were held together with roll pins, pin holes can elongate, pins can break. Seem more troublesome to me.

Just my thought. Heat up the rock shaft. Grab hold of one of arms and twist it so both arms are the same. Then take a piece of angle iron a little short of the same length as the rock shaft and weld it to the rock shaft. Use something thick and that will cover one half of the rock shaft. Leave some short breaks in the weld for some flex. Should be able to do this without removing anything and it may last another 50 years. Just my thought

^^ Problem with that ^^ is it will interfere with the mower deck subframe as it has a "fork" that slips over the rockshaft to mount, and that is the weak area due to wear from said "fork".

I agree with the heat part however. If I were to do the repair I would place the lift in the fully up position then place a small bottle jack under the low arm. Then heat the rockshaft and once it's warmed up jack the lower arm up into position. Once you have that done then the wear on the rockshaft can be welded to build the wear area back up to spec then grind to restore the rounded profile as needed. Might want to remove the rockshaft assembly after bending it back into position for the welding step. They come out without too much trouble, you just have to jack the front up as it has to come out the bottom.

Once you are done welding and smoothing it out, heat the whole thing up to a VERY dull glow - just enough to know that it's hot just by looking at it.
Then sit it in front of a fan and allow to cool. That'll relieve the stresses from welding / grinding / sanding.

Are the earlier models different from the wide frames? My lift arms were different heights, because one of the spirol pins was broken internally. Didn't show, except when I lifted it while watching. CC149. Is this why the manual says not to step on the deck?

Are the earlier models different from the wide frames? My lift arms were different heights, because one of the spirol pins was broken internally. Didn't show, except when I lifted it while watching. CC149. Is this why the manual says not to step on the deck?

Yes, the narrow frame lift rockshaft is welded.

Back