• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

104 Purchase

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scfenn

displayname
Scott Fenn
I'm pretty stoked! Have wanted to buy and restore a vintage Cub for sometime and stumbled upon what looks to be a fairly complete 104 today. Will pick it up on Friday with plans of a full restoration, using Dave S. and his beautiful restoration of his 104 as inspiration. Please feel free to comment on what you see so far. I'm new to Cubs (although, we had a Lo-Boy when I was growing up) so I want to learn as much as I can.

Unfortunately, I've tried to attach photos of my 104 four times, each time shrinking the file down (down to 30%) but the website won't upload them. Any ideas? Would like y'all to see my new project.

Scott, WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif

CUBgratulations on finding a 104!
greenthumb.gif

Feel free to email your photos to me, I will get them posted for you.

Scott,

Congratulations!
If you were a little closer, I could fix you up with a 124 too.

One word of advice.......
Be PATIENT, don't get in a hurry, and don't give up.

If you follow this, you will have a nice tractor one day.
It takes me about 10 months to restore a cub.
Unfortunately, I have to work a public job for a living, so this slows me down.

Marty G. You have a 124? Awesome!!! I'm working on a 104 for a friend right now and maybe one day I'll have a 124. They are nice little gear drives.

Here are some photos of Scott's 104. Looks like it has a 42" mower deck. Interesting seat setup, the original fiberglass pan seat is still there with another seat stacked on top. Nice that it still has the original grill screen, and it appears to be in very good condition.

315842.jpg

315843.jpg

315844.jpg

Scott-

I've found it very helpful to take many, many pics of the restoration. This will help when putting things back. And get a box of plastic baggies for the various bolt patterns, small parts, etc. and label each bag.

And get rid of that hideous paint! Only yellow and white will make it right.

Nice score and welcome to the forum. Any questions you may have,and you will have them, can go in the main forum here with it being a CC104.

Thanks to all for posting comments so far. I picked the 104 up after work on Friday but didn't get it unloaded til yesterday. Drove it up and down the driveway a bit and it goes into all 4 gears just fine. Except, the shift handle swings left and right making it challenging to select a gear. I'm guessing there's a roll pin that holds the handle that has sheared off. Certainly will be corrected during the refurbish.

Some other things I noticed: the amp gauge works - slight discharge when starting it and then the needle moves to the right of zero for a few seconds and then settles back around zero. The battery cables don't look like battery cables at all - more like 14 gauge wire. Is that heavy enough for this application. I had a tractor with a 7 HP Kohler on it and it had actual battery cables on it.

By the way, how much does a 104 with the mower desk weigh, approximately? Just curious.

The South Texas summer heat is pretty intense so I won't start working on this til the fall. I've already downloaded the service manual for it and now I have plenty of time to read that and some of the threads on this forum to prepare me. Thanks to Kraig for posting pictures.

Scott F.
Not to dampen your enthusiasm or anything.
You really need to ask general questions on the main forum board, and when you start the refub/restore, come back here and post your daily progress to get it all documented for you and others to enjoy along the way.
thumbsup.gif

It weighs around 780 lbs give or take taking in a 175 pound driver and a full tank of gas.

Back