• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

102 ag tires

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grovebaby

The original tires on my '67 102 are finally shot, well at least one is. I think I will put ag tires on. The existing are 23x8.5x12. So I guess the rim would be less than 8.5 wide. Can 10.5 wide ag's be used, and is that a good idea. Would that be better traction than 8.5. I will be bulldozing with it

You need to stay with the 23X8.5X12 tires. The 10.5 tires would be too wide for those rims.
My personal preference is Carlisle Tru Power ags. Summit racing lists these tires at a good price.

You need to stay with the 23X8.5X12 tires. The 10.5 tires would be too wide for those rims.
My personal preference is Carlisle Tru Power ags. Summit racing lists these tires at a good price.
Thank you, I'll checkout Summit.

Miller delivers free to several events throughout the year. I met them at Kinzers, PA during the Threshermen’s Reunion at the Rough and Tumble Engineers Museum several years ago. My favorite sponsor up top is sold out of the tri-rib tires I like.

I agree, Miller tire is a good option.
Another option could be to check the local tire dealers. Sometimes they can save you a little money also.
I usually shop around locally and online. One deciding factor, for me, is if they have the tires on stock or not.
I do stay clear of the online selling sites though. Just my 2 cents.

Along those lines, I'm thinking about some new tires for my 129...I recently put some new front tires on it and found that mounting them if they were sent collapsed was near impossible mounting them expanded tricky until I got the hang of it...Can you mount the rear tires with hand tools?

Summit had the best deal. better than Walmart and Miller,Tractor supply, Townfair. They arrived 2 days later.

I have mounted all my tires by using hand tools.
I do suggest putting a little dish detergent or Armorall on the tires before mounting. This helps the tire slip onto the rim much easier. 😉
I also mount the tire with the rim face down on some cardboard so the front of the rim will not get scratched when mounting the tire.

Along the tire line I have found a good selection from a place called SIMPLE TIRE out or Trevose,PA .They have given me good fast service on all I have bought from them.
Mounting----I use Talcum powder--put on bead and rim areas--also if you use tubes--cover the tube good and put on the inside of the tire.Tubes will not bunch up and will conform to the inside of the tire without pinching.

+1 for talcum powder. Works great and won't hurt the tire, tube, or rim. No sense putting anything wet in there that will rust the rim.

a fold over on the tube will cut the tube as if you had sliced it with a razor blade, when u get the tube inside and the tire bead aeated, put just a little air in the tube just enough to straighten all the wrinkles out, let the air out, then air it up again, u will be happy u did, buck

So, I'm putting new tires on old rims. Does anyone think that even though new tires, tubes should be used also?

I think the tube issue would be up to you.I use them as I have a bit of trouble with thorn punctures which seem to be less with tubes--talking about older tires,not new.Also I find tubes installed are easier to mount and take air--don't have to have tight bead to rim contact.Need to watch the valve stem hole and make sure you use the correct tube or I use a rubber grommet in the rim which takes up the extra space.

That very much depends on the condition of the rims. If they are shiny, clean, and painted inside, you wouldn't need tubes, but if there is much of any rust in there or damage to the bead seat area on the rims, just put in a tube.

If in doubt, use a tube.

Summit had the best deal. better than Walmart and Miller,Tractor supply, Townfair. They arrived 2 days later.
Is this Summit Racing? I looked all over there today and can't find any 23x8.50-12 tires. Am I looking at the wrong Summit?

Yes, you are looking at the correct site.
Go to Summit Racing and at the top left it says Department.
Click on department, then on wheels and tires.
Then under section, click on tires.
Then under part type, click on tires.
Next on the left, is the selection: tire type. Click on equipment.
Lastly, on the left, locate tire size. Select 23x8.50-12.

There are so many options now for rear tires. I prefer the Carlisle, but which tire looks the most authentic and original? I have a set of the AG tires and would like regular tires, but they all look like new zero-turn type of tires. Thoughts?

I ended up buying Carlisle turf tires 4-plyLRB from Walmart.. $65 each. Haven't got them yet, they are being delivered to the store...$12 each for mounting. I had ended up cutting the the old ones off and I figured it was worth it to let them do it.

Back