The Original forum for International Harvester Cub Cadet owners

If you would like to help maintain this site, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Please check the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) before posting your question -
perhaps it has already been answered there.

While you're at it, please also read through the IH Cub Cadet Forum Rules before posting.
Thanks!!

Got a suggestion for, question about or problem with the site? E-mail us at info@ihcubcadet.com

Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
IH Cub Cadet Forum * IH Cub Cadet Forum  

Be sure to support those who have made this possible. You know, the colorful boxes with links right above!!

Thread Originator Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through May 13, 2016 Brian Branstetter (B
 30   05-16-16  05:01 am
by Luther Ray Hinds (
Archive through May 16, 2016 Vincent Thomley (Vth
 30   05-18-16  07:27 pm
by jeff l baker (Jbak
Archive through May 18, 2016 Frank A. Currier(Nor
 30   05-21-16  02:17 pm
by Brian Ellwood (Bel
Archive through May 21, 2016 Wayne Shytle (Wshytl
 30   05-23-16  07:18 am
by Charlie Proctor (
Archive through May 23, 2016 Jason Wiggins (Jwig
 30   05-24-16  01:55 pm
by David Schwandt (Ds
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Use this topic only for discussion about IH Garden Tractors and Equipment built prior to 1981.

EVERYONE must edit their profiles to UNCHECK the box that says Clear the cookie when I exit my browser!

There's NO such thing as a stupid question!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Marlin Homrighausen (Mhomrighausen) on Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 03:45 am:

Harry B. Both pumps are hardly used based on trunion wear. I'd have to run the hydraulics from a parts 1650. It would make one sweet tractor that I agree. If I get time this summer,I may be doing the swap. My biggest thing is wanting to keep the tractor original and time. However hydraulic lift especially with snow throwers and at Plow Days at my age is so much easier than manual lift.

We are only as smart as the politicians we elect to office.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Harry Bursell (Hydroharry) on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 06:30 pm:

What's going on here on the Forum???? We've had more posts with pics today than we've had in months. There must be some other guys lurking out there that have acquired a Cub recently. Just go ahead and post us a note. We ain't gonna bite ya. Include some pics if you can too. We love to see CC units.

Marlin - just go ahead and do the hydraulic lift upgrade. Use this for a reason - sooner or later you're gonna have to change that infamous cork gasket. Just do it now as a preventative maintenance, and change the hydro ported pump while you're at it. I happen to think the Wide Frame Hydraulic Lift is the best feature IHCC ever produced. Talk about bullet proof - other than the infamous cork gasket and until recently when a couple guys posted about an issue (and one was operator error), I hadn't recalled anyone having a performance issue with the hydraulic lift system.
And once you do the upgrade you'll be left with the manual lift arm assembly, which will make a nice long newspaper weight to use just in case you have some future problem with the hydraulic system.

Steve - it's been about 15 years since I had that 1872 but I remember "lifting the tractor" by driving that deck down. I thought I ended up removing the float lockout pin and it resolved the issue.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die
(but may have a component failure)
Kraig says I'm absolutely correct

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy joseph donovan (Jdonovan) on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 05:54 pm:

Looking for advice whether or not anything should be used on the gaskets for the reduction housing or differential cover. Gasket shellac or gasket adhesive etc.Thanks in advance..Joe

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Wayne Shytle (Wshytle) on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 05:35 pm:

Marlin-

I've done what Steve mentioned for one of my 129s. I swapped the whole pump plus I did it to a 1250 the same way. I think I used the hydraulics from a 1450 there.

Both work great!

That warning Kraig posted just threw me by saying larger pump when I guess they meant larger charge pump (???).

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL) (Sblunier) on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

I've done the 129 to 149 hyd lift swap.......easy and it works 100% , no issues.

Swap the whole hydro, or split the hydro and swap the front cover/charge pump onto the existing axial pump/motor.....either way.....works and is a very straightforward upgrade for a wide frame hydro.

"There's nothing more peaceful than plowing a field, chances are you'll do your best thinking there"

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL) (Sblunier) on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 04:50 pm:

Harry,

That is an 82 series issue related to the float on the rockshaft rusting solid. Happens A LOT!!! Mine has that issue, just have to be careful lowering the deck or it will lift the tractor!!!!

H60 decks are designed to be driven over.......

"There's nothing more peaceful than plowing a field, chances are you'll do your best thinking there"

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Harry Bursell (Hydroharry) on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

Marlin - why can't you?

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Marlin Homrighausen (Mhomrighausen) on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

Wayne S. The ported hydro pump has a bigger charge pump on it than the non ported hydro. The bigger charge pump was necessary for the hydraulic lift. I have Angel's 129 with an excellent lower hour non ported pump and a really low hour 14 horse Kohler.I also have a very low hour ported pump and rear end from a 149 that I just can't put into that 129 even though I have everything parts-wise to make it hydraulic lift.

We are only as smart as the politicians we elect to office.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Jason Wiggins (Jwiggins) on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

Thanks for the Tip on SS Hardware!!!
I Appreciate That very much,,,
Cosmetic Only It Will Be,,,

And I guess my goal was to Prevent THIS:

From Happening Again,,,
Thanks Again,,,

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Jason Wiggins (Jwiggins) on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 03:58 pm:

Thank You ALL,,,

Yes I Purchased April 23rd, I'm in Dayton Oh, seen the CL ad in Zanesville Oh, Couldn't Load up And get Trailer Hooked up Fast Enough,,,

Add said Runs Great Everything Works,,,

Kicker is Turned out to be a ONE Owner, I Paid 5 Bills and Got Original Sales Receipt!!!!

Tractor was $1,800.00 in 1974,,,,
I brought it Home and Mowed Next Day!!!

Been wrenchin on it Since,,, Mowing In Between Wrenching's LoL

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Harry Bursell (Hydroharry) on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

Steve - I don't know about the 149 being "smooth". It's probably smoother than the 169, but still has some shakes.

Also, I know it's not off topic Friday and this may be at risk of a poof, but be careful if you use the hydraulic down pressure on your 2072. My 1872 was set up with it and every time I lowered the 60" deck to the ground to far it would flex the side of the frame where the cam stop (to set lowest position) is located.
Also, yesterday you mentioned removing and re-installing the 60" deck beast. When I picked up my 1872 the guy just drove the tractor over the top of those diamond plate spindle covers. I was worried at first but after realizing the tractor had the aluminum rearend which is pretty light weight, it was not really harmful. I will also say that 60" beast was more than I could handle by myself. Even with my son's help it was still a beast.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Marty A. Gwin (Mgwin) on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 03:26 pm:

I agree with Matt G., stainless is a pretty good idea on cosmetic applications, but, along with stainless being softer, lower grade stainless will rust too. Don't think stainless is waterproof. JMHO

By the way, nice cubs guys!!!

Pictures........the next best thing to being there.

Jason,

Don't worry, you will be buying more cubs in the near future to help with your disease!!

I treat everyone equal until they start doing something they shouldn't!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL) (Sblunier) on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

Jason,

You picked an excellent working tractor!!! A 149 is one of the very best single cylinder models to "work"!!! Strong, smooth, simple, yet refined!!!! My first Cub was a 149 as well.

Of the standard sized Cub Cadets, the 782 and 149 are top on my list........with the 2072 in the Supreme Commander's seat!!!! :-) :-) :-)

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Harry Bursell (Hydroharry) on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

Jason - you just purchased it a few weeks ago!!!!! Dang you've done alot. You've certainly got the uncureable chronic yell'r n white fever. But don't worry WE ALL GOT IT TOO!!!!!!

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Matt Gonitzke (Mgonitzke) on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 02:58 pm:

Jason W.-

Another tip: Don't replace Grade 5 or 8 bolts with stainless...most hardware store stainless steel bolts are around the same strength as a Grade 2, or even less. Hood hinge will probably be OK, but I wouldn't use them on the rearend, engine, frame, etc.

Original, 582, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site (FINALLY fixed my website)

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Jason Wiggins (Jwiggins) on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 02:37 pm:

Speaking of Wrenching on "Cubs"

Got of work Early 2Day,,,
Came Home and Found Momma laying out in the Sun,,,
Dobbie Running around Back Yard digging up our Apple Tree's,,,

So I Figured WTHeck,,, Headed down to Garage grabbed Wrench and Put on My Stainless Hinge w/ SS bolts and Washers!!!!

LoL

Feels GOOD to work on "MY" IH Cub,,, which will As Long as He's a Workin he'll never be anything close to Jim or Harry's!!!
But My 149 is MINE!!! I've come to be Familiar with it the time I have spent wrenching on it, Cleaning it, making Mistakes and Correcting them along the way.
Although I do Congratulate you Jim and Harry on your Beautiful Creation's I wouldn't Trade mine for "Just" about any other out there!!!
I Like my cub cuz it's Mine and if I want to go off OEM spec here and there that's my choice! And it don't matter what anyone else Thinks!!!!

Kinda like My Doberman,,, There are a Million other out there but the Relationship we Have Formed is the Reason I Love HIM!!!!

And to all you out There who Feel your cub my Never equal up to the Standards of a Perfect Resto,,, in a Way that's a Good Thing, Cuz Your cub equals the Standard of Your Cub!!!!

Don't Get me Wrong I Admire a Beautiful Perfection Resto as much as anyone else, but I Also Admire Working Cubs, Dirty Cubs,, and Even Rusted out Forgotten Cubs!!!!

Since I purchased my First a few weeks ago I Think I may have been bit by the IH cub bug,,, LoL

I Love This Site!!!!!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy David Schwandt (Dschwandt) on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 02:27 pm:

Yeah, went to one in IL on the 14th and making preps now for the 2016 RPRU!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Harry Bursell (Hydroharry) on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 - 02:07 pm:

David - if I were you I certainly wouldn't feel sick. Just think - how else could you get all this time to get caught up with the Forum and figure out everything you need to do. Yesterday you mentioned something about forgetting the PTO engagement rod for the 126 after you installed the Hydraulic Lift. That's really no big deal - but obviously really hard trying to do it with just one hand. It'll still be waiting for you to do it once you get the right hand function back. While you're waiting why don't you check out all the tractor shows coming up in your 3-state area. I sure wish I had the time you do.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

8927 registered users
Discus 4.10.1 released 03/14/2007

All core web site images and graphics are the property of the IH Cub Cadet forum. Any unauthorized use, reproduction, duplication is prohibited.

DISCLAIMER:This website contains no material provided by MTD Products Inc, is not affiliated with or sponsored by MTD Products Inc, which owns the CUB CADET trademarks. It is not an official MTD Products Inc website and MTD Products Inc is not responsible for any of its content. The official MTD Products Inc, website can be found at: www.mtdproducts.com The information and opinions expressed on this website, including the bulletin boards and/or chat rooms hosted on this site are the responsibility of the website's owner and/or visitors, and do not represent the opinions of MTD Products Inc.