The Original forum for International Harvester Cub Cadet owners

Please check the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) before posting your question -
perhaps it has already been answered there.

While you're at it, please also read through the IH Cub Cadet Forum Rules before posting.
Thanks!!

Got a suggestion for, question about or problem with the site? E-mail us at info@ihcubcadet.com

Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
IH Cub Cadet Forum * IH Cub Cadet Forum  

Be sure to support those who have made this possible. You know, the colorful boxes with links right above!!

Thread Originator Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through August 10, 2017 George Loughery (Glo
 30   08-11-17  08:59 pm
by Ethan Kincaid (Eki
Archive through August 11, 2017 Ed Topel (Etopel)
 30   08-16-17  02:30 pm
by David Schwandt (Ds
Archive through August 16, 2017 Kendal Harvey (Kharv
 30   08-19-17  09:20 pm
by Marty A. Gwin (Mgw
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Use this topic only for discussion about IH Garden Tractors and Equipment built prior to 1981.

EVERYONE must edit their profiles to UNCHECK the box that says Clear the cookie when I exit my browser!

There's NO such thing as a stupid question!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Wayne Shytle (Wshytle) on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 01:40 pm:

Marty-

I believe you are North Carolinas premier trailer queen producer...at least for the time being. I'm like George in that I use all of mine. I have 3 out there today; two hauling firewood and the 149 to mow with later. Be sure and let us in on the barn plans...you know it's inevitable. I know you already have six or eight ready for the show room. Just keep it up. We all like seeing them and following their progress during the builds.

David-

Tractor Supply sells nice 3/4" ID collars two to a pack that work just fine for the axle pivot pin. I've used them on a couple of occasions.

It's time to go check out the solar eclipse here in NC. I never got any glasses so I'm using an old welding helmet that isn't automatic...works great!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy David Schwandt (Dschwandt) on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 11:32 am:

Agreed!!
I have tri ribs on one of my 100's and they look great, I think anyway!!

More work on the 108 yesterday. Got a new rear steering axle bushing cut, installed and surrounding paint touched up. The original was MIA and there was a big washer welded to the pin and 'C' channel in place of it. A few knocks w/the air chisel between the washer and channel and it and the axle pin came right out in one piece!. The spirol pin was also MIA.

The donor axle comes from a 1450 I am parting as well as the spindles.
Charlie has a new driveshaft on the way as I type, the PO had made a shaft but it's kinda hard to drive spirol pins around corners I guess cuz non of the holes were 100& in alignment w/the couplers and clutch plates!!
More on the front axle itself as it had been busted at some time and slobber welded back together. one of the spindles had been hogged out where the tie rod end goes and a larger one installed. A bolt and 2 nuts in place of the drag king end on the steering sector, geesh... what else will I find??
Oh yeah, and the seat springs have been welded up solid. The PO must have been a fat azz and tired of bottoming out when hitting bumps.
Just glad I have a great supplier and parts tractors to fall back on here.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy George Loughery (Gloughery) on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 11:25 am:

Wow Marty, your 122 looks great! Is that the Eddie Bauer edition? I tried to keep mine looking nice after I spent all winter tearing it down and repainting a few years ago. I took it for a drive, ag tires pulled a rock which scratched the wheels weights, breather spewed oil, hood marred grill, and one thing led to another...so now it's my daily driver. In fact, that experience helped me decide I didn't want to do full restorations. Yours looks very, very nice! I really wish I would have snagged those 16x6.50 Firestone tri-ribs when I had the chance.

Charlie, thanks for the damper plate tip, I'll have to look at that again, I think I had it on backwards and thought the retaining clip went on the other side. Goes to show that you really do need to take pictures before you start taking things apart. It's hard to discipline myself to grab my camera when I have grease and hy-tran all over my hands, shirt, pants, and fridge door handle ;-)

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Steve Shaff (Sshaff) on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 09:32 am:

Marty G...Lookin' great! Very sharp :-)

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 06:34 am:

Brian A., nice job on the driveway. How well did the big OT tractor work out for placement of the gravel?

George L., great tire comparison photo.

Marty, :-)

Charlie says I'm an INSTIGATOR.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Marlin Homrighausen (Mhomrighausen) on Monday, August 21, 2017 - 03:32 am:

Marty G. Your 122 looks sharp. And I don't see a dummy on it. Just a great fellow Cub Cadet enthusiast.

When I was a baby, I was cute pudgy and bald. Now that I am older... cute went south a long time ago. I'm just pudgy and bald.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Marty A. Gwin (Mgwin) on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 09:02 pm:

George,

Did you say Deestone Tri-ribs on a 122?

Or, did you say a dummy with Deestones on a 122?

Now y'all have my curiosity up.
It's been awhile since I fooled with one, so I am gonna have to go and look.

"The man who moves mountains begins by carrying away small stones one at a time."

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Digger (Cproctor) on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 08:59 pm:

George L.
That spot is there to protect the snap ring from rubbing, nothing else goes in there unless you need to shim it one day, if things get sloppy.

"Every Cub has beauty but not everyone sees it."

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Digger (Cproctor) on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

Earl L.
Go to any auto parts store and get a 5/8" i.d. drain plug gasket.
You might have to ask for Dorman or something like that, but they all have them.
They have the fiber style as well as the metal compression style.

"Every Cub has beauty but not everyone sees it."

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Marty A. Gwin (Mgwin) on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

Earl,

I didn't know they had a washer.
If yours does, maybe try an o-ring.

George,

Nice!!!
Can't wait to see them on your tractor.

"The man who moves mountains begins by carrying away small stones one at a time."

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy George Loughery (Gloughery) on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

Now that I have tires, back to my hydro. TC-157 doesn't show anything on either side of the damper plate next to the trunnion, but there is room for something on the trunnion side. What goes on the sides here?

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Earl LaMott (Elamott) on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

Oil drain plug on K301
The washer on the oil drain plug is toast on my K301. What type of washer is good. I have temporary used a piece of leather but it is starting to leak.
Comments appreciated
Earl L

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Marlin Homrighausen (Mhomrighausen) on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

Jim K. Glad that you got your Cub up and running again. I'm battling a bum knee and then high humidity trying to mow lawn and work on a Cub Cadet for friend.

George L. Good score on the set of tires. And don't feel bad. I didn't get a nice set of used tires/rims complete with bearings for $40.00 at Red Power Roundup last month either. A day later... I kicked myself.

When I was a baby, I was cute pudgy and bald. Now that I am older... cute went south a long time ago. I'm just pudgy and bald.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy George Loughery (Gloughery) on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 05:11 pm:

Got to pick up my V61 tires this weekend at the Rough & Tumble show in Kinzers PA. Ed brought an extra pair of Firestone 16x6.50 tri-ribs and I said let me think about it...when I came back an hour later they were gone.
Here are three different tires for comparison by my 122. 4.00-8 Deestone tri-ribs on left, Carlisle 16x6.50-8 ribs in center, and V61 16x6.50-8 on right. I should have also bought the Firestone tri-ribs. Snooze you lose!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Jim Krupar (Jbkrupar) on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 01:08 pm:

Update on the 149 leaking oil - after a couple of things that killed my cub time - a plumbing issue in the house and a 34 hour power outage - I was finally able to perform some diagnostics yesterday. The items to look at by Charlie were fine. So I dug into the oil breather and found the inlet completely clogged and the mesh also filled with dirt. Cleaned it up reinstalled the removed components and after a 20 minute test run - no oil was lost - thanks to Jim S. for pointing to the oil breather as a potential culprit. This is the down side to living in the high desert of New Mexico - dust, aka enchantment. Will be checking the oil breather inlet more often.

I believe in peace through superior firepower and total annihilation

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Mike Frade (Mfrade) on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 06:34 am:

Thad the pics don't really give an angle that allows us to see the depth of the damage, essentially, you could use the block "if" the piston ring area doesn't enter the damage. To see this visually, pull the piston and see where the shiny pattern is ending. Normally the bottom of the piston skirt comes out just a bit from the cylinder. If the damage doesn't extend up into the cylinder - you could be alright.

Still waiting for Hydro Harry to finish his 169 assembly and testing!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy David Schwandt (Dschwandt) on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 05:03 am:

Brian, great work w/the cubs!!
The blade does a fine job, one just has to be patient and learn to toe the fine line between pushing and spinning is all.
Ask me how I know this, after all the cemetery grading work a couple weeks ago!!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy David Schwandt (Dschwandt) on Sunday, August 20, 2017 - 05:01 am:

Thad, Don't think that's gonna work.
Post your pictures right hare on this site.
You will have to downsize them somewhat though.
PB sucks any more.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Thad Bergh (Tbergh) on Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 11:26 pm:

here is the pictures of the damage
http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p397/thadscub1/bd97d200-c390-4c0e-9365-077ff4ea428f_zpssd5fvyxq.jpg

http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p397/thadscub1/DSCF1941_zpsmqy2o4tz.jpg

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

9366 registered users
Discus 4.10.1 released 03/14/2007

All core web site images and graphics are the property of the IH Cub Cadet forum. Any unauthorized use, reproduction, duplication is prohibited.

DISCLAIMER:This website contains no material provided by MTD Products Inc, is not affiliated with or sponsored by MTD Products Inc, which owns the CUB CADET trademarks. It is not an official MTD Products Inc website and MTD Products Inc is not responsible for any of its content. The official MTD Products Inc, website can be found at: www.mtdproducts.com The information and opinions expressed on this website, including the bulletin boards and/or chat rooms hosted on this site are the responsibility of the website's owner and/or visitors, and do not represent the opinions of MTD Products Inc.