The Original forum for International Harvester Cub Cadet owners

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!
Want to donate to help keep this site free to use?

Please check the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) before posting your question -
perhaps it has already been answered there.

While you're at it, please also read through the IH Cub Cadet Forum Rules before posting.
Thanks!!

Got a suggestion for, question about or problem with the site? E-mail us at info@ihcubcadet.com

Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
IH Cub Cadet Forum * IH Cub Cadet Forum  

Be sure to support those who have made this possible. You know, the colorful boxes with links right above!!

Thread Originator Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through November 17, 2014 Mike Patterson (Mpat
 30   11-19-14  05:10 pm
by Paul W.Roessler (P
Archive through November 19, 2014 Lewis Palma (Lpalma)
 30   11-21-14  06:36 pm
by jeff l baker (Jbak
Archive through November 21, 2014 Jim Patchett (Jpatch
 30   11-24-14  04:18 pm
by Frank A. Currier(N
Archive through November 24, 2014 Frank A. Currier(Nor
 30   11-25-14  06:48 pm
by jeff l baker (Jbak
Archive through November 25, 2014 doug barnett (Dlbarn
 30   11-28-14  02:57 pm
by Harry Bursell (Hyd
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Use this topic only for discussion about IH Garden Tractors and Equipment built prior to 1981.

EVERYONE must edit their profiles to UNCHECK the box that says Clear the cookie when I exit my browser!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Charlie "Digger" Proctor (Cproctor) on Friday, November 28, 2014 - 10:08 pm:

Don T.
And do you really think that we care about a 2500 series POS on the main forum board!

"Every Cub has beauty but not everyone sees it."

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Michael P. Horozko (Mhorozko) on Friday, November 28, 2014 - 09:51 pm:

90 degree angle gear box on my snow thrower is running 30 weight from what I can remember. I'd guess it's been doing that since day one. Unless there was grease in there from the factory, I've been squirting Pennsoil in there letting it seek it's own level with the fill plug out. No leaks, back bearing is getting lub. I do only see water drops on there after a "Snow Job"

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Donald Tanner (Dtanner) on Friday, November 28, 2014 - 09:28 pm:

Denny

I`am sure you know most 2500 series rearends would chatter and be a real pain without a friction modafier to keep the clutches happy when turning .When I took the gear box cover off I found a dried up mess and thought it should have a grease and something to keep it in a fluid like state so it would better handle peirods of non use .so the mixture was used to prevent this drying up of the fluid . I think this mix is safer for the way the gear box sees use and does prevent drying up of just the grease. also fluid alone would not transfer heat as well as the more dense mix.

1 step forward 2 steps back always ! Later Don T

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy jeff l baker (Jbaker) on Friday, November 28, 2014 - 09:20 pm:

Well not to argue because I am done after this,
but I don't think that gearbox was meant to hold a all liquid lube (not that it can't) but I think the seals and cover plate would leak.
I use hytran in cub cadet because a hydro requires the liquid fluid to run the hydro

IH wide frame hydros are the cats meow,,Why own anything else

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Keith Ostendorf (Kostendorf) on Friday, November 28, 2014 - 09:19 pm:

One reason it will start leaking. the bearing seals are not tight enough for oil that thin. any gearbox works and last longer with a half and half mix of 80\90 gear oil and grease.

Yellow Fever = Moths in my wallet!!!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Dennis Frisk (Dfrisk) on Friday, November 28, 2014 - 08:53 pm:

Jeff - My pos Chevy Luv p/u truck would not shift gears when temps dropped around zero. It was supposed to have 30w motor oil in it. I drove it out to Dad's one Saturday and changed the oil to Hy-Tran. Trans shifted great after that.

You use Hy-Tran in your Cub Cadets, so what's the difference of using it in your QA 36\42?

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy jeff l baker (Jbaker) on Friday, November 28, 2014 - 04:49 pm:

Straight hytran in the gearbox,, no way not in my QA36,, now as Charlie/Don said mix grease and hytran together and now we are talking

IH wide frame hydros are the cats meow,,Why own anything else

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Donald Tanner (Dtanner) on Friday, November 28, 2014 - 04:36 pm:

Well harry and all I did a gear box last year for the 450 and used 80 -90 gear lube and bearing grease. Mixed the two together and laid the box out side for the night (cold night BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRR. all was flowing in the am . so as long as what you use makes the grease (lubricate ) all the bearings and help with heat I think the amount and what used is depends on the climate .
Now Harry

I been having a charge issue with my 149 . chagrining with a battery maintainer when parked helps keep the tractor always starting and working for the short times I need it. I ordered two new regulators from Charlie and well that did not work to well for me lol. Seems I used the underneath plug for ground and not gen as Charlie pointed out.I think he posted to used the other side of the solenoid and attach a wire there and run it to the bottom of the other new regulator I bought. standunder .

1 step forward 2 steps back always ! Later Don T

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Charlie "Digger" Proctor (Cproctor) on Friday, November 28, 2014 - 04:19 pm:

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Dennis Frisk (Dfrisk) on Friday, November 28, 2014 - 03:42 pm:

CHARLIE - If it makes you feel better, I DID drill & tap 1/8th inch NPT threads and install a grease zerk in the gearbox... to seal the box and let pressure in/out as it heats & cools.

It never ran hot when I did actually use the blower, still had snow piled on top of it when I was done.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Charlie "Digger" Proctor (Cproctor) on Friday, November 28, 2014 - 03:16 pm:

Harry,
I have no problem disagreeing with Denny on Hytran in the gear box.
No freakin way would I use only Hytran!

Now If I lived near the Arctic Circle, maybe, LOL

Now mix a little Hytran with the grease, ya sure you betcha, I'd do that!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

8378 registered users
Discus 4.10.1 released 03/14/2007

All core web site images and graphics are the property of the IH Cub Cadet forum. Any unauthorized use, reproduction, duplication is prohibited.

DISCLAIMER:This website contains no material provided by MTD Products Inc, is not affiliated with or sponsored by MTD Products Inc, which owns the CUB CADET trademarks. It is not an official MTD Products Inc website and MTD Products Inc is not responsible for any of its content. The official MTD Products Inc, website can be found at: www.mtdproducts.com The information and opinions expressed on this website, including the bulletin boards and/or chat rooms hosted on this site are the responsibility of the website's owner and/or visitors, and do not represent the opinions of MTD Products Inc.