The Original forum for International Harvester Cub Cadet owners

Please check the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) before posting your question -
perhaps it has already been answered there.

While you're at it, please also read through the IH Cub Cadet Forum Rules before posting.
Thanks!!

Got a suggestion for, question about or problem with the site? E-mail us at info@ihcubcadet.com

Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
IH Cub Cadet Forum * IH Cub Cadet Forum  

Be sure to support those who have made this possible. You know, the colorful boxes with links right above!!

Thread Originator Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through January 04, 2018 Marty A. Gwin (Mgwin
 30   01-06-18  12:34 pm
by Mike Patterson (Mp
Archive through January 06, 2018 David Schwandt (Dsch
 30   01-08-18  11:03 am
by Digger (Cproctor)
Archive through January 08, 2018 Kraig McConaughey "K
 30   01-10-18  01:56 pm
by Thad Bergh (Tbergh
Archive through January 10, 2018 Frank A. Currier(Nor
 30   01-14-18  02:55 pm
by Ethan Kincaid (Eki
Archive through January 14, 2018 Digger (Cproctor)
 30   01-16-18  01:44 pm
by Digger (Cproctor)
Archive through January 16, 2018 David Schwandt (Dsch
 30   01-17-18  01:35 pm
by Kraig McConaughey
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Use this topic for OPEN discussion about IH Garden Tractors and Equipment or what ever suits ya!
We're trying something new to open things up a little!

EVERYONE must edit their profiles to UNCHECK the box that says Clear the cookie when I exit my browser!

There's NO such thing as a stupid question!

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Harry Bursell (Hydroharry) on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 10:29 pm:

Scott and Kraig - well to each his own. I think you've both been kinda lucky. The mowing decks will raise slightly because of the slots in the adjusting pins, but not a whole lot. If you happen to run one gauge wheel on a high area that raises that side of the deck as much as possible you're putting pressure on the deck housing where the wheel is attached and I've seen lots of decks cracked at that point. Same type thing goes for the other attachments. If the attachment is locked in place and can't raise up do to an obstacle - well something has to give - it could be the sub-frame, the lift arms under the tractor, the attachment, or the obstacle itself.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die
(they just find another resting place)

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 08:15 pm:

Hydro, yes the manuals state to use the float setting, however never had any damage to either the mower deck or the snowthrower. Couldn't use the float setting on the QA42 snowthrower with the gravel driveway at the farm growing up or it would throw gravel into the yard. I still can't use it at my house because I also have a gravel driveway. Prefer to set it just above the gravel an inch or two and vary it as I go. If I set the lift stop to keep the snowthrower above the gravel and used float per the manual, I couldn't lower it beyond the lift stop for those areas where the ground drops away along the edge of the driveway or other uneven areas around the yard that I clear and would leave too much snow. I think we may have used the float on the mower deck up until it broke sometime back in the late 1970's, by then my younger brothers were mowing and I was off having fun.

Charlie says I'm an INSTIGATOR.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Scott Nicklas (Snicklas) on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 07:30 pm:

Harry,

My comment to the everything is supposed to be used in float comment....

The float lockout pin has been in Dad's 149 since at least 1978, and in my 1450 since 2007. Both have been used with every attachment we have. Never had an issues of damage with the pin installed.

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Harry Bursell (Hydroharry) on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 04:38 pm:

Kraig - Oh Great One Keeper of the Photos:

REALLY!!! I can't hardly believe it. All the IH attachments are really designed to be used in the float position. Using them in the locked position can cause damage to the lift arm detents, damage to the gauge wheels on decks, crack the deck housing, damage the dozer blade, and lots of other things.

I suppose there are a lot of guys on here that will disagree but I always floated all my CC's attachments.

Frank you ole F - you really saw me coming? All the way up there in Maine?

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die
(they just find another resting place)

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy David C. Quillen (Dquillen) on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 04:13 pm:

Kraig, I knew you had it! That's all I need to scrounge the shop & fab up a reasonable facsimile.

Gerry, that makes perfect sense to me and my application. Float & up! Thank you both!!

David

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Gerry Ide (Kide) on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 03:54 pm:

Oops - been gone a day or so, see I put some bad info about the blue trim on the 122.. Apparently the few I've ever seen had been redone (not too unusual, I'm guessing) and they had used piping.. Ah well - see, ya just can't trust anything on the 'net

BTW, your comment about rarely using the float control; I've posted my solution some place - after I got tired of fighting it, I brazed in all the sector "teeth", ground it smooth, leaving just the "up" one to lock the lift up. Never missed the ability to lock the blade or other implements in any position other than up.

"An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it." - Jef_Mallett

Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)View Post/Check IPDelete PostEdit PostBy Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) on Wednesday, January 17, 2018 - 01:36 pm:

David Q., why yes, yes I do. :-)

Here's some photos that might be helpful:

And a drawing from a parts manual:

Charlie says I'm an INSTIGATOR.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration

9458 registered users
Discus 4.10.1 released 03/14/2007

All core web site images and graphics are the property of the IH Cub Cadet forum. Any unauthorized use, reproduction, duplication is prohibited.

DISCLAIMER:This website contains no material provided by MTD Products Inc, is not affiliated with or sponsored by MTD Products Inc, which owns the CUB CADET trademarks. It is not an official MTD Products Inc website and MTD Products Inc is not responsible for any of its content. The official MTD Products Inc, website can be found at: www.mtdproducts.com The information and opinions expressed on this website, including the bulletin boards and/or chat rooms hosted on this site are the responsibility of the website's owner and/or visitors, and do not represent the opinions of MTD Products Inc.