• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 24, 2005

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreid

displayname
Dale Reid
Terry Busch == weights

I think I get the drift on the manufacturing of the device to hold the weights to the rim. I'm of course concerned about the weight doing some warping of the rim and all sort of dastardly things to the alignment. I assume that the whole thing including the stock rim is substantial enough to take the weight, and some jarring as it bounces around on rough ground as one uses the tractor.

And, where did the weights (grey, with a single hole in them) come from? Are these just weights that weight lifters put on the end of a barbell, or another tractor manufacturer? Is there any flex in the 3/4" rod as it holds these weights onto the rim, or do the weights fit pretty snugly inside the rim? Don't go to extra lengths, but if sometime you have another photo, that would be great, especially the fitting of the plate to the holes (goes on the outside of the rim, as the only way I can see it might fit?) I wish I could do exploded drawings; should have gone to tech to get that class!

Need help! have brinly disk but no hitch setup.
Can't find any pictures in books I have on how it fits on a sleeve hitch.
Any help would be appeciated!

Dale, Brian, Terry...

There is alot of open space inside those wheels with 10 pound weights in there. I have three 20 pound weights in mine. They fit like they were made for the tractor. Mebbe 1/4 " clearance around. Three in a 23-8.50-12 wheel reach just about flush with the bead surface of the wheel. Just enough to add the 25 pounders on after that. The 25 pounders only fit down against that same bead face.

Look around for the 20# plates at the smaller stores. The marts don't carry them. Not all 20's fit in the wheels either, so take along a measuring stick.

I drilled them for the IH wheel weight bolts (okay mine are garden variety carriage bolts). If you like , you can put a nut on the bolt to hold it and slide the plates on one at a time. I like the heads out so I don't get my shins, so I bolt the plates together then slide them in the wheel and bolt them on the back side of the wheel.

Sorry I'm digicam challenged, but if you want pics I'll see what I can do. Also my source for these weights has dried up, so I'm stuck with only seven of the 20# plates. I'd hoped to accumulate about a hundred or so for the fleet of Cubs I have planned.

Jim,

It seemed like one hurdle after another on this, trying to find the 1" threaded rod, trying to find someone around here willing to drill a 1" hole through the 1/4" stock and weld a nut on for me (I criss cross two pieces inside each wheel btw).
I happened to find the 1" rod a t a Sears Hardware store by chance. Lowes and Home Depot didn't carry it. My car mechanic was happy to drill the 1" hole and weld the nut for no charge. I think he probably owes me anyway ;).
What I thought would be the easiest part, buying the weights, turned out to be the hardest. The Wal-Marts in my are let the stock run out on this stuff and are real slow on restocking. And when they do restock, it's a little bit of this and a little bit of that. I ended up driving to four area Wal-Marts in 2 states for a month and a half before I got 2 5lb'ers 12 10 lb'ers and 4 25's. It's a good thing I wasn't in a hurry to start working out!

The sporting goods guy at the mall stocks the Olympic sized ones with the big big hole.

Wts --

Brian, Jim and Terry:

Thanks for the discussion on this. I have a much better idea now, and with the link to the EZwt place still up, got some ideas there, too.

I guess the best thing to do is look for the weights, first. Have any of you guys tried some of the "Second Wind" shops, that we seem to have in the area, which take in old, unwanted, unused,or I really don't want to get into shape equipment, and resell it? I know a few years ago (before the thought of needing a weight came up) we had some stuff from my father-in-law's basement, and when we took the weight set to one of these joints, they told us they had so many they really didn't even want these for free. I'll take a look this weekend if I get into town to see what is up. Anothe thought is calling the local GoodWill or Hope Mission stores, I heard someone got a nearly new Schwinn AirDyne there for $50, they are close to $600 new.

Jim, give the camera thing a try if you have your stuff off some time, and if the pix are too big to qualify for loading to this board, just email them to me.

And finally, none of you guys seem to be a bit worried about the strain on the rim after you attach whatever mounting system you've come up with, right? I didn't see anyone mentioning shimming up the slight clearance of the weights after mounting (door or window shims?) to keep the weight from flexing and prying on the attachment bolt, so if you rims haven't bent off, I'll probably not have any problem with mine.

Thanks for all the info. It makes the membership dues here worthwhile.....

Need some info, I am going to look at a 982 that is for sale. Does all 982 have a 20 hp Onan? Did they come with PTO and three point hitch? Also can someone post picture of a 982.
Thank You

Digger
Thanks for the come back.
Had checked FAQ before.
I have 3 point and sleeve hitch on many of my cubs -14- but never seen the part that bolts onto the disk that connects to the sleeve hitch.

Lee K,
If you have the old style Brinly they hook up like this,
26594.jpg

If you have the newer one, it's like this.
26595.jpg

Dale,

Definitely check out the resale shops. Weight is weight. I picked up an ugly 50# plate for next to nothing after watching it sit in the resale store for a looong time. That's also where I was getting the 20 pound perfict fitters. They also sold some new lines at mine.

I gave no thought to your concern of wheel flex/fatigue. I figured just like you have, that if everyone else is doing it, then we'd hear some complaints if it were risky. After all this stuff was good enough for IH remember? No Craftsman wheels here (although I do have some Bolen's wheels with the valves stems on the inside that might find their way onto a Cub). It does seem to me that the crisscross brackets would be more likely to preserve the integrity of the wheel.

Dale- In my case the first plate snugs up flush against the mounting bolt heads. Subsequent plates are put on and when the locking nut is tightened, the wheel and weights are a very solid union. No movement or flex.

Charlie - Nice! I probably should have asked you first
happy.gif
. The two rods I bought were 3' in length. I bought 2 at $12 each. I can have my longer winter rod and a shorter summer version when I don't need so many. I have since found that my local NAPA guy has it too. I just discovered him about a week ago.

your_image.gif

your_image.gif

Brian

Dale- In my case the first plate snugs up flush against the mounting bolt heads. Subsequent plates are put on and when the locking nut is tightened, the wheel and weights are a very solid union. No movement or flex.

Charlie - Nice! I probably should have asked you first
happy.gif
. The two rods I bought were 3' in length. I bought 2 at $12 each. I can have my longer winter rod and a shorter summer version when I don't need so many. I have since found that my local NAPA guy has it too. I just discovered him about a week ago.

26600.jpg

Brian

Pierre G,
As far as I know yes they all were onan, but someone else may know different. The rear PTO and 3 points were an option.
26602.jpg

982 = 19.9 hp Onan......only Onan they used, and even then, it only lasted toabout '86 when it was replaced by a 20hp Magnum

Thanks Digger & Steve, for the info. It does look a little bit bigger than my 782. Well it will be worth the ride to look at it anyway.

Pierre

Had some time out in the yard today, taking care of some business. Doing some grading out by the mailbox. Got a picture of my friend Tom pushing some leftover gravel out of the road. Also got my new tires for the 125, some Carlisle power tracs. Now im ready for PD

26607.jpg

Wieghts,
Here are some pictures of my weight bracket.
I cut the heads off of 2 bolts and welded them to a piece of 1/4" flat stock. I drilled a 3/4" hole and welded a 3/4" nut to the center.
26618.jpg

I bolted the bracket to the rim.
26619.jpg

I cut a piece of 3/4" ID 1" OD PVC pipe and slid it over the threaded rod.
26620.jpg

Finally, I slid the rest of the weights on and installed the nut.
26621.jpg

The weights are from Walmart.

Back